Cracked egg to check fertility.. please help!

lucysducks11

Songster
Apr 9, 2016
I ordered some duckling eggs off of eBay, so far none of the eggs appear to be fertile, I have not yet decided to stop incubation even though I feel it's a wasted effort. I did crack one of the eggs open today to confirm my suspicions and saw a white ring on the yolk, which only confused me more! Was this a fertile egg gone bad? Please someone weigh in!!!

i would use both bators, because you will have a staggered hatch going on, it will make turning, lockdown and fluffball removal that much easier 

I'm on day 4 of incubation and I candled the eggs to see if any progress was made and all 11 eggs are fertile!!! I was able to see the veins in every one of them! I'm in complete shock at the moment!! Not going to candle again until next week but so far everything looks right on task!! I'm not going to move these guys into another bator especially now! I never imagined all 11 would be fertile, this is extremely exciting!!!

Eggs do not start growing until they are put under heat, so the three days in transit would have no effect on when you saw veins.

The one you cracked looked like it at least was alive at some point. Please wait until they have been in the incubator under heat for at least seven days before making any further move to open any.

Last edited:
I ordered some duckling eggs off of eBay, so far none of the eggs appear to be fertile, I have not yet decided to stop incubation even though I feel it's a wasted effort. I did crack one of the eggs open today to confirm my suspicions and saw a white ring on the yolk, which only confused me more! Was this a fertile egg gone bad? Please someone weigh in!!!

That was definitely a fertile egg.. the large ring was the enlarged blastoderm...

The egg was cracked, nothing was coming out of it...

If they don't seep, cracked eggs can develop and hatch just fine...

Wait til at least day 7 or day 10 (from the start of the day you placed them in the incubator) before candling again to check for development... I've found some shipped eggs develop slower than non-shipped and they can also develop at slightly different rates... just be patient, incubating takes time... :)

I've hatched many a cracked egg, as long as it doesn't leak fluid or stink, it's ok...

If bacteria gets into the egg, there is a chance of it exploding in the bator... BUT it will stink to high heaven way before it explodes, lol... keep your nose aware and you shouldn't have any worries, and trust me, you WILL smell it if it stinks...

I've hatched many a cracked egg, as long as it doesn't leak fluid or stink, it's ok...

If bacteria gets into the egg, there is a chance of it exploding in the bator... BUT it will stink to high heaven way before it explodes, lol... keep your nose aware and you shouldn't have any worries, and trust me, you WILL smell it if it stinks...

This is VERY TRUE! I know cause I've done geese eggs, it stinks before the explosion. I missed one once...never missed any again, that was not fun cleaning :(

I think spongeing is better, start now, 2x a day
New sponge wet/damp blot eggs
Humidity will jump for an hour maybe then drop again, not sure what bator u have bit make sure vents are open
:fl !!!!!!!

Ok thanks so much for ur help!!! I'll definitely have to take pictures of the little babies so u can see what u helped save lol

Back
Top Bottom