Cracked egg

BlackAce

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
I had a mishap and accidentally knocked over my incubator, I had 8 Cayuga and 8 Rhode Island Reds eggs in there. I lost 1 RIR egg that fell on the floor and I had 2 Cayuga eggs that cracked but didn't didn't lose any fluid from them, the membrane seems to be intact. The Cayugas are on their 10th day of incubation so I'm hoping that hopefully I can save them. What do you think? Can they be saved or no?

Yes, tons of people have hatched out eggs that cracked as long as the membranes are intact. It's chances are lower, but you still have a chance. Use some tape to seal it up again.

I just taped it up last night. I hope I can save them. I used regular scotch tape. Should I use something else or is that ok?

(I am not an expert, I have never ever hatched eggs, only had 3 chickens for 6 months, so I might be wrong! I learn by stalking this website.)

That should be fine. Remove it at least before lockdown so the chick can hatch.

Ugh, you're not alone. Long story short, my thermometer had some glue in the back which resulted in a piece of shell coming off where the air cell is located. I cut off a small piece of duct tape and made a band aid for it. It seems to be working really well. My eggs are only a week or so in, so its not much of a loss if it doesn't work. I candled today and the embryo is still moving, so we'll see.

Something else I've read on BYC is folks sealing cracks with wax. If your eggs have a hairline crack, that may work better than the tape. I considered wax, but mine is a hole not so much a crack. Good luck, I hope they make it :fl

Well I candled them last night and it looked a little to jelloie instead of kinda solid. I also candled the others and I came across one that looked kinda strange. Looks like it's smiling at me. Lol

Back
Top Bottom