Cracked maize and porridge

kattfink

Songster
Jul 4, 2019
VIC, AUSTRALIA
I experimented yesterday and soaked oats and cracked maize in boiled water for 30min... The girls went NUTS for it!
Is this ok for them to be eating?
There were more eggs this morning than usual :)

The egg amount is just a coincidence. :yesss: It is fine to give your chickens whatever you desire, but did want to point out, that what you gave them is slightly low in protein, compared to the FEDERATION STANDARDS:gig:lau
If chickens ate their regular feed, and wolfed down the TREAT you made, and not in EXCESS AMOUNTS,, all is fine.
BTW,,,, I am one that regularly breaks the Federation Rules, and give treats to my chickens. My chickens are HAPPY, and do live long lives. My egg production numbers are not suitable for any Blue Ribbon Prizes. My chickens are also my PETS.:love
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

The egg amount is just a coincidence. :yesss: It is fine to give your chickens whatever you desire, but did want to point out, that what you gave them is slightly low in protein, compared to the FEDERATION STANDARDS:gig:lau
If chickens ate their regular feed, and wolfed down the TREAT you made, and not in EXCESS AMOUNTS,, all is fine.
BTW,,,, I am one that regularly breaks the Federation Rules, and give treats to my chickens. My chickens are HAPPY, and do live long lives. My egg production numbers are not suitable for any Blue Ribbon Prizes. My chickens are also my PETS.:love
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, my chickens are also my pets :love
They get layers pellets and Peters Mix everyday as main feed, then veggies etc later.
I heard that warm porridge is good to keep them warm at night.
LOL great coincidence :clap They had me fooled!

There is a debate about feeding chickens extra carbohydrates during cold weather. I do and never seen any bad results. Of course there are the staunch opposed, that think regular feed and the protein is what keeps chickens warm.
Well I'm on the divide line with carbs as my choice.
I just hope not to be mistreated for my choice.
upload_2018-4-11_14-33-10 (1).jpeg

I experimented yesterday and soaked oats and cracked maize in boiled water for 30min... The girls went NUTS for it!
Is this ok for them to be eating?
There were more eggs this morning than usual :)

I suggest another experiment: take some of their normal complete feed (layer pellets), add hot water (not boiling), and let it sit for a few minutes. See if they go equally nuts.

It's faster to make, and it's sure to have the right balance of nutrients. Might be cheaper, too.

It should be fine to give them a bit of extra stuff sometimes, but it seems to me they like wet chicken feed just as well anyway. (Might not be true for your chickens--that's why I suggested experimenting.)

Back
Top Bottom