Craiglist roosters

The guy I give all my cull roosters to has a shop set up where he butchers/cleans them (that is where most of the roosters go from criagslist). I went to see HOW he handles them and it's done quickly so I was ok with that. What I DON'T want are my roosters going for fighting roos. I am helping this guy and his family out because they live off of disabilty checks alone and I give him all my extra roos to raise for food, and my birds are all free ranged and taken good care of until that time comes. He also shares with his extended family as well
big_smile.png
So I feel pretty good about finding him even if I'm not making any money on them I'm doing something good
big_smile.png
And he was honest with me and told me right from the start what he would be doing with them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh Gosh! Now I understand why some of mine might not be going to new homes. I do get alot of questions back regarding temperment, etc. and when I tell them they are nice well behaved roos (which they are), I don't hear from them again!!!
ep.gif

If I could find someone who just processed them I would be a happy person. These roos aren't breeding material, so I would much prefer people to not attempt to breed them. But I would be happy either way. And yeah maybe they are for cock fights....

I have had a couple of people willing to take all my roosters. I ask lots of questions and go with my guts. Most people don't want a lot of roosters. The homes that I have sent multiple roos to had large free-range flocks and we saw their property before letting them go. I would never send them anywhere if I thought they might be used for cock-fighting. I am not so picky about people who may process. Chickens ARE food and I get that. I just ask that they not mention it in front of my kids.

I recently got a free purebred Ameracauna rooster from someone who could not handle his people aggressive behavior. I was hesitant but knew the breeder where said bird was bought from. it was a breeder I knew and know her line is paul smith/ribbeck lineage. I lost my roo last winter to neigborhood dog and needed a good replacement. Well it's been over a week, and he's becoming very sweet, enough where I can feed him treats by hand and pet him. 10days ago he was flooging everyone in sight.

Last edited:
I just rehomed a silkie rooster (on craigslist)- which is easier knowing that silkies arent desired for meat
smile.png
i also checked out the womans setup where she had several other silkie hens with no rooster.
our rooster wasnt very nasty but he was a rooster. he would occasionally try to flog you , if he knew you werent looking , and if you went to pick up his hen he would try to and sometimes successfully clamp on-. seriously though , nothing to be afraid of or cull because of (in my opinion)- my hubby developed like a post traumatic stress disorder from it apparently
lol.png
im like "really?!?! does he have weapons that he uses against you while im at work"
lau.gif
Mind you my hubbys a big guy , really scary lookin if ya dont know him- so it was pretty funny
I have heard horror stories of really violent roosters but i have yet to meet any.
we rehomed ours so he could be an only rooster with lots of hens- something we couldnt provide for him at the moment. she also sends us weekly updates and pics.
also now that he has the proper hen ratio he seems to have lost the mean rooster behaviors for the most part

Back
Top Bottom