craigslist coop fail

Quote:
My first LOL of the day! Thank you.
big_smile.png

delete

Last edited:
Ha! I love the idea of using the front of a cabinet for a coop! I think I'd put new sides on it though to make it deeper (maybe make it 4' deep instead of the 2') , you could (if not the roof venting) take one of the drawer fronts off and screen it for ventilation.

hmmmm. I think I've go an idea for my next coop!

Quote:
I agree. Honestly, this looks fine for a place to sleep at night, not a permanent enclosure. I've seen a metal dog crate used to keep three chickens with a tarp over it... Some people might want to save their "poor chickens" comment for something like that, instead.
hmm.png

Quote:
My first LOL of the day! Thank you.
big_smile.png

X2 I CAN NOT BELEAVE THIS!! i can see it for temporary but do they acually live a happy life in things like that??

Do you all realize some of those coops were copied right here from BYC?
hmm.png
I was asked to be a judge for this contest.

It was from a fun Tacky Coop Contest that was held a while back on BYC and people won prizes for it. The thread was designed for people who had what they considered "tacky" coops, to post pics. The BYC'ers who posted didn't have the Chicken Mansions that most people have or the money $$$$$$ but had chicken coops that were safe for their chickens and predator proof. They were proud of their coops. It was a fun contest that we had. Looking forward to our next Tacky Coop Contest. I think I will PM the OP of the thread to see if we can get another contest contest going. Thanks for posting the link.

ETA: Tacky Coop Contest Link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=446029

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=333688

Paragraph from the article
In 2009, BackyardChickens.com hosted a Tacky Coop Contest. The rules of the contest were simple: The coops must be homemade and no chickens could die as a result of being kept in said housing. In other words, the coop must be safe and useable. That’s all. While there are plenty of chicken coops built to resemble a doll’s house or a country cottage or St. Basil’s Cathedral, these are not the focus of the contest or this article!​

Last edited:
It appears that they vented directly under the roofline (I see 2" all of the way around). I'd raise the roof another couple inches (it says that's a separate piece) and then hardware cloth that opening. It would make a nice broody/brooder hut or quarantine/isolation quarters. It's not a bad coop, just too small the 5 LF suggested by the ad.

It looks okay for a sleeping place, but not if you have cold winters.. When the chickens don't want to go out in the run.. I think it's quite cute. Would use it for 5 banties if I lived somewhere warm and they only used it to sleep in.

Quote:
We had a blast. A lot of people were afraid to post because they thought they would be ridiculed and talked about or judged because of how their chicken coops looked. We enjoyed every single "tacky" coop.

I just PM'ed the OP to get another Tacky Coop Contest going. Hopefully, we can give out some good prizes again this contest. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
We had a blast. A lot of people were afraid to post because they thought they would be ridiculed and talked about or judged because of how their chicken coops looked. We enjoyed every single "tacky" coop.

I just PM'ed the OP to get another Tacky Coop Contest going. Hopefully, we can give out some good prizes again this contest. Will keep you posted.

I *did* see the tacky coop contest, but the commentary on that blog was what made it especially funny to me. Made the pictures even better.

Back
Top Bottom