Crap. Lost a leghorn to a Cooper's hawk.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by leochickenmama, Nov 11, 2011.

1. leochickenmama

leochickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi, haven't posted in a while. We bought 8 new Leghorns at the end of Sept. and now only have 6. Lost both to a Cooper's hawk.

I had problems with a hawk before; that one might have been a red-tail. That one had to have migrated. I haven't seen it in a long time. This thing was half the size of the Leghorn, but still got her good with those talons.

I hate hawks. Hate hate HATE them. I've lost 6 or 7 total to them this year.

2. leochickenmama

leochickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've been letting them free-range for a few months now. My big Jersey Giant roo is a great deterrent. My chicks also know to run and hide underneath our huge holly bush if anything comes around (those leaves are sharp). This one was under my deck; wrong place, wrong time. Hawks are opportunists, as all predators. Sigh.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I lost my first bird to a Cooper's Hawk. That vicious little bugger flayed my hen. A year later I lost a duck to a migrating Red-Tailed Hawk. Hawks have been some of my most successful predators. They can be tough.

Sorry for your loss.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm supprised a white leghorn got caught by a hawk. The ones I've seen were so flighty light couldn't catch one. Sad to hear it anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by