Crappy waterer = Soggy coop . Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickenmaven, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I bought this new 5 gal. waterer at TSC:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...02|16201|34411?listingPage=true&Special=false

The water just flows right out of it. It appears to defy the laws of nature & gravity. The water should flow into the little trough thingee & stop, right? I have 4 other waterers that work of that principle. It doesn't stop. It just runs & runs. PLEASE, EXPERTS: Is there a trick to this model? Should I return it?

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I recently bought the 3 gallon version of that for my chicks to use when they get bigger. I haven't tried it yet.

It is my nice galvanized waterer that leaks on me in the main coop, so I've put the plastic heated waterer back in there. I've tried Vaseline around the rubber flow stopper, but it still leaks.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Yes, return it.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:There should be a rubber "O" ring at the top where the lid screws on to make a seal. It may be missing or you aren't tightening the lid down enough.

Steve in NC

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Steve, I will go try that & report back.
    Thanks!

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

If that doesn't work or it's missing the O ring I would take it back - you shouldn't have to really tighten it super tight to make a seal either. snug should do it.

Steve

7. Listen, I bought the same one a week ago and the first time I filled it up I had a flood of 5 gallons of water all over just like what happened to you!
    The my husband came over and read me the directions on the label that was on the waterer.

You MUST put the tiny little white cap onto the bottom hole in the trough while you fill it up. Then you MUST screw the top cap on TIGHT to create the vaccume.
    Then put your waterer where you want it. Then unscrew the tiny white cap from the bottom hole and place it on the dummy spout on the tank for storage. I have not had a single problem with the waterer since then.

8. Oh and mine doesn't have an O ring either...

9. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    I have one of the 5 gal ones too and It has worked well for a couple of months and then about 2 weeks ago it started doing the same thing the Rubber O ring has looseded so I have to make sure it isn't kinked or out of place when I thghten the lid I think maybe you have to replace the ring from time to time.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

If you screw the lid down to tight is stretches the O ring over time. They sell replacement O rings (for the little giant brand anyway). To save some money all you have to do is cut about an 1/8 of an inch out of the O ring. Use a razor blade or sharp knife and make a straight cut - remove the small piece and super glue the O ring back together.

You can tell the O ring is stretched as it won't seal unless you really tighten the lid and/or the lid is hard to screw down.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by