Crazy Chickens People Thread (I hope this catches on!!!)

BD3B53E5-F692-4049-9C73-FE1B42A7058F.jpeg

My broody telling me she needs to have one less cockerel and five more nest boxes. Introduced a RIR cockerel the night before this picture, and when she came out to do her broody shuffle.... she was met by the new boy, who insisted on showing he’s head of the pack. This particular broody has flogged a bull calf and momma....so new cockerel isn’t intimidating at all. After that was settled (cockerel never even touched her surprisingly..... just a lot of posturing) she went inside briefly and came out to jump in my lap.
She’s my favorite girl

9BED7A14-A59A-4108-8E4B-E3612EE75DF9.jpeg

Same broody as above. Day 3 and she ‘found’ 8 bar rock and 4 black Australorp chicks in place of her eggs. At noon. She should be dragging them out tomorrow. I had to gather them up for drinks and dinner. They were born Tuesday. All run like hell for her when startled.... and I received enough pecks from her getting them to eat and drink that I KNOW she claims them.
My name is Mark. I have a chicken problem.

My chickens are scared of me. I have had them since 8 May and they were about 13 weeks old. No matter how I entice them with goodies, they stay extremely wary. And rightly so, since I am very impatient and volatile. I feel so envious of others when I see them sitting with a hen on their lap. I am hoping I can tame a chick if any eggs hatch. I'd love to be able to post close-up. I'd love to be able to catch them without melodrama and heart attacks. Anger is my active emotion when startled, or sad, or hurt or disappointed, whatever. The birds freaking out on me when I need to powder them or check them over is counter-productive, so now I just leave them be and dream from afar. Any tips?

My chickens are scared of me. I have had them since 8 May and they were about 13 weeks old. No matter how I entice them with goodies, they stay extremely wary. And rightly so, since I am very impatient and volatile. I feel so envious of others when I see them sitting with a hen on their lap. I am hoping I can tame a chick if any eggs hatch. I'd love to be able to post close-up. I'd love to be able to catch them without melodrama and heart attacks. Anger is my active emotion when startled, or sad, or hurt or disappointed, whatever. The birds freaking out on me when I need to powder them or check them over is counter-productive, so now I just leave them be and dream from afar. Any tips?
first, recognizing your problem is huge. Now you should calmly sit and just watch them. Let them get used to you again. If one approaches you drop a treat near you. Touching and handling them will come later. They have to learn to trust their person

View attachment 2310081
My broody telling me she needs to have one less cockerel and five more nest boxes. Introduced a RIR cockerel the night before this picture, and when she came out to do her broody shuffle.... she was met by the new boy, who insisted on showing he’s head of the pack. This particular broody has flogged a bull calf and momma....so new cockerel isn’t intimidating at all. After that was settled (cockerel never even touched her surprisingly..... just a lot of posturing) she went inside briefly and came out to jump in my lap.
She’s my favorite girl
Aww how cute!

Im having the same problem...

Back
Top Bottom