Crazy eyed chicks!!!

We adopted 11 hens and a roo last Spring...then bought 11 more pullets. When the heat and rains hit, we suddenly lost 2 hens and a roo in 24 hours. We were new to chickens so I scrambled for info. After talking to some long time chicken enthusiasts, we were convinced it was Coccidiosis. I went out and checked on the flock and found another hen not moving, deep under the deck. I couldn't find Corid anywhere local so had to Prime it via Amazon. While I waited, I treated flock with ACV and garlic in one waterer, GSE in another, and oregano EO in a 3rd. Figured as they moved from one waterer to another, they'd get something! The nearly dead hen I treated with the same but in much less diluted portions. She went from lifeless and too weak to lift her head to flying off the porch, drinking from our pond, and eating strawberries. I thought she'd make a full recovery but in the end, she passed :( But the rest of the flock survived...never needed the Corid when it arrived. So if you suspect Coccidiosis but don't have Corid on hand, I highly recommend the Oregano EO (I use/sell YL....I Def think it's more potent than most brands), garlic, ACV, and GSE. No tossing eggs for 2 weeks either :)

We adopted 11 hens and a roo last Spring...then bought 11 more pullets. When the heat and rains hit, we suddenly lost 2 hens and a roo in 24 hours. We were new to chickens so I scrambled for info. After talking to some long time chicken enthusiasts, we were convinced it was Coccidiosis. I went out and checked on the flock and found another hen not moving, deep under the deck. I couldn't find Corid anywhere local so had to Prime it via Amazon. While I waited, I treated flock with ACV and garlic in one waterer, GSE in another, and oregano EO in a 3rd. Figured as they moved from one waterer to another, they'd get something! The nearly dead hen I treated with the same but in much less diluted portions. She went from lifeless and too weak to lift her head to flying off the porch, drinking from our pond, and eating strawberries. I thought she'd make a full recovery but in the end, she passed :( But the rest of the flock survived...never needed the Corid when it arrived. So if you suspect Coccidiosis but don't have Corid on hand, I highly recommend the Oregano EO (I use/sell YL....I Def think it's more potent than most brands), garlic, ACV, and GSE. No tossing eggs for 2 weeks either :)

I'm so sorry you lost her, but you certainly did everything within your power that you could do - for sure. Thank you for the reinforcements on the herbs! That's exactly what I'd been doing right from the start with the chicks... getting them use to lots of fresh herbs, garlic, oregano, & the ATV... and haha... I did the same with 1 water bottle holding a slice of fresh garlic clove and the other had ATV with the mother in. I totally agree as well with the fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme and mint - they've got such great immune building properties are are so beautifully beneficial!!!

And this is totally off the original subject, but still following the 'healthy herb' comments... I've made my own Kombucha now for ages... and had been reading about letting the chicks have an extra piece of the super-healthy probiotic SCOBY - to let them pick at - once in a awhile, but I need to read more on that whole thing... but thought, since we're on the same kinda herbal benefit way of thinking... maybe you'd heard something about that? If home made kombucha's good for my gut, immune & overall health... it should be good for them as well? (and the big protest that it has alcohol... meh... about the same alcohol as contained in a ripe banana... so it's fine for the chickies). :)

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost her, but you certainly did everything within your power that you could do - for sure. Thank you for the reinforcements on the herbs! That's exactly what I'd been doing right from the start with the chicks... getting them use to lots of fresh herbs, garlic, oregano, & the ATV... and haha... I did the same with 1 water bottle holding a slice of fresh garlic clove and the other had ATV with the mother in. I totally agree as well with the fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme and mint - they've got such great immune building properties are are so beautifully beneficial!!!

And this is totally off the original subject, but still following the 'healthy herb' comments... I've made my own Kombucha now for ages... and had been reading about letting the chicks have an extra piece of the super-healthy probiotic SCOBY - to let them pick at - once in a awhile, but I need to read more on that whole thing... but thought, since we're on the same kinda herbal benefit way of thinking... maybe you'd heard something about that? If home made kombucha's good for my gut, immune & overall health... it should be good for them as well? (and the big protest that it has alcohol... meh... about the same alcohol as contained in a ripe banana... so it's fine). :)
I love you already! Haha I make my own kombucha as well! And it's on crack the way it grows...I'll have 3 or 4 scobies going at a time so I pull the extras, cut them up, and give them to the fluffers! They love it!

I love you already! Haha I make my own kombucha as well! And it's on crack the way it grows...I'll have 3 or 4 scobies going at a time so I pull the extras, cut them up, and give them to the fluffers! They love it!

WOW!!!!! WOW!!!! We are "birds of a feather!" for sure! Yay! I've got what I affectionally call "the brothel' (SCOBY hotel) with about 15+ SCOBYS in a huge jar of sweet tea... they're prolific!!!! But keep 4 gallon -jars - brewing each week too!

I have been saving up the older (retired) SCOBYS because I'm going to use them when I plant my tomatos - and put a SCOBY under each tomato plant! It makes for awesome growing tomatoes. SO happy to hear you give the chicks SCOBY too... But you dice it up! Very good to know! I saw a lady on youtube feed the chicks a SCOBY, but she just threw it on the ground... (I don't think I'd do that) and they picked at it. I think I'd probably put it in a large bowl or something. So happy for this info!!! Glad I found ya!! :)

WOW!!!!! WOW!!!! We are "birds of a feather!" for sure! Yay! I've got what I affectionally call "the brothel' (SCOBY hotel) with about 15+ SCOBYS in a huge jar of sweet tea... they're prolific!!!! But keep 4 gallon -jars - brewing each week too!

I have been saving up the older (retired) SCOBYS because I'm going to use them when I plant my tomatos - and put a SCOBY under each tomato plant! It makes for awesome growing tomatoes. SO happy to hear you give the chicks SCOBY too... But you dice it up! Very good to know! I saw a lady on youtube feed the chicks a SCOBY, but she just threw it on the ground... (I don't think I'd do that) and they picked at it. I think I'd probably put it in a large bowl or something. So happy for this info!!! Glad I found ya!! :)
Scobies under tomatoes? I never heard of that! Do they work under all plants? I'd thought of just tossing the entire thing to the fluffers but figured the dominant birds would steal most of it. So I mix it in with their food for that reason :) I've made scoby jerky for my fam too ...it's actually pretty good! Can't remember which recipe I followed, though :/

Jerky!? That's an idea! I'll have to look on Pinterest for that recipe!!! This is my first year trying the SCOBYS in the planting hole - under the tomatoes... but began planning on this a while ago, so I'd have lots of scobys -for doing that - this spring. When (IF) it warms up enough I'm gonna give it a go! I'll let ya know! How often do you give them a scoby treat like that in their food?

Jerky!? That's an idea! I'll have to look on Pinterest for that recipe!!! This is my first year trying the SCOBYS in the planting hole - under the tomatoes... but began planning on this a while ago, so I'd have lots of scobys -for doing that - this spring. When (IF) it warms up enough I'm gonna give it a go! I'll let ya know! How often do you give them a scoby treat like that in their food?
Def let me know! Wish I'd thought to hold onto some in an excess jar to grow. Typically, I make a batch once a month so that's when I remove excess and feEd to the chickens. Thinking I'll save some each time just to grow scobies. How often do you add sugar water in the excess scoby jar?

I actually just make fresh sweet tea w/ a good dose of 'starter' every 5-6 weeks or so and put the scobys back into it. Works great but my 2 gallon jar is literally JAMMED with scobys! It's worked well so far... but I seriously need this weather to break & start to warm up so I can get my garden STARTED already!!!! Now that we're talking about this... idk why I haven't put the scobys under transplanted herbs & such also! I've got an oregano, 2 thymes, 2 rosemarys, & 2 lavenders ready to go into a new bed I just added - by the coop... I'll put a scoby under ONE of each and have something to compare it to!!! I swear there's not enough time in the day to do everything I want to do!!!! :)

That is great news. Hopefully they will continue to get better.

So I used the Corrid
After starting Corid, hold off on the NutriDrench until after Corid, so you don’t give them extra thiamine (Corid mimics thiamine to kill coccidia.) Probiotic plain yogurt is fine though, and helpful to their gut bacteria. Let us know how they get along.

Just an update - and a great big thank you for your advice Eggcessive! It did work!!! I gave the chicks -Corrid for 1 week in the water bottles, and everyone drank that - but also gave a few drops to the 2 chicks that were not thriving... I am VERY happy to report that they are all doing well now & though still not as large as the other well chicks... they are finally growing! The 2 that were seemingly ill... are still smaller in comparison to the others, but they definitely ARE growing and feathers are coming in well too! :bow THANK YOU!!!

Back
Top Bottom