Crazy feather loss?

davi

Songster
Jun 26, 2012
My light brahma hen, Booker has lost so many feathers that in some parts of her plucked feathers, like her feet, have even lost her scales. It worries me so much, and I don't even know what happend. Here's some photos:

She lost all these feathers about a week or two ago, and I don't know what happend. Its not even molting season, and she lost some scales on her feet. I don't know what to do. I'm positive that there are no predators in the area. Whats wrong and how do I fix it? Please help!

I am not sure but could it be scaly leg mites? Again, guessing. Hopefully someone will know and comment soon. Good luck

I don't think its scaly leg mites. She just doesn't have any scales, I think.I didn't see any mites under her scales or anything. Mabye I'm wrong. But I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm not an expert, but there looks like scaly leg mites to me in those pictures. Maybe her feathers are also getting picked. I think I would treat her with topical Ivomec or Eprinex (which is cheaper I think) 1/2 to 3/4 ml on the back of the neck between feathers. Then soak her legs in a tub of warm water with Dawn or Palmolive and take a tooth brush and gently brush the scales. Then put some oil, vaseline, or castor oil on the legs and feet and really massage it in. Repeat this a couple of times a week for a few weeks. If you use the castor oil, you will not have to do it as often. Since her feet and legs are pretty red she may need an antibiotic.

Some moxidectin will take care of mites on the body and the feet. Two treatments 10-14 days apart. It might take a few weeks for the legs to heal.

Back
Top Bottom