Crazy girl

What's your whole set up? Do you have a filter? My niece has a koi (sp?) fish in her tank and I've been curious what she's going to do once it gets too big.
I bought a 110 gallon rubber stock tank at TSC and then I ordered an all in one type thing for the filter and pump and everything online so I wouldn’t have to have a million separate things. It’s a pond filter, UV clarifier, pump, and also a fountain although the waters a bit high right now for the fountain to work haha need to fix it and also clean the filter tomorrow. I will probably need to get a bigger pond eventually and/or bring them inside for winter but for now it works.

This is the filter I got but they have other ones. I got the smaller one. There are other, cheaper filters out there but I wanted to make sure I got one that worked well.

https://www.thepondguy.com/product/...2/water-gardens-fish-ponds-all-in-one-filters

Last edited:
Sorry, that post above should have said 110 gallons. Forgot to include that haha but I’m guessing you guessed it 😂 they have bigger ones but I didn’t want to spend too much.

Sorry, that post above should have said 110 gallons. Forgot to include that haha but I’m guessing you guessed it 😂 they have bigger ones but I didn’t want to spend too much.
What do you do in the winter? I'm seriously considering this idea. I don't think her fish is big enough yet.

Do the added plants add enough shade from the sun?

What do you do in the winter? I'm seriously considering this idea. I don't think her fish is big enough yet.

Do the added plants add enough shade from the sun?
Well, I haven’t had them through a winter yet so I’m honestly not sure. They just moved outside this spring. They were inside in a tank for a few years before. :oops:

I actually got a 75 gallon glass fish tank to transfer them to for the winter but I ended up accidentally cracking it cause I left it in the car too long when I didn’t have anyone to help get it out 😭

So now idk.

I ended up using it as a brooder a few times (and this pond too before I put the fish in lol) so it worked out alright but now I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them. I do not think it is deep enough to not freeze. They say if it is deep enough (for us I think it’s 3 feet but I’m not sure) then they can stay in it.

Maybe I will just get a stock tank de icer or something to poke a hole in the ice and they might be able to make it? We had a fish survive the winter in a much smaller and shallower pond once years and years ago when I was little and we didn’t do anything special so maybe these guys can make it too ??? Idk yet.

And I don’t have any plants in it yet. :oops: but it’s in a somewhat shaded area next to the house so they haven’t gotten too hot but I do plan to add plants and yes, I think they would provide enough shade.

Well, I haven’t had them through a winter yet so I’m honestly not sure. They just moved outside this spring. They were inside in a tank for a few years before. :oops:

I actually got a 75 gallon glass fish tank to transfer them to for the winter but I ended up accidentally cracking it cause I left it in the car too long when I didn’t have anyone to help get it out 😭

So now idk.

I ended up using it as a brooder a few times (and this pond too before I put the fish in lol) so it worked out alright but now I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them. I do not think it is deep enough to not freeze. They say if it is deep enough (for us I think it’s 3 feet but I’m not sure) then they can stay in it.

Maybe I will just get a stock tank de icer or something to poke a hole in the ice and they might be able to make it? We had a fish survive the winter in a much smaller and shallower pond once years and years ago when I was little and we didn’t do anything special so maybe these guys can make it too ??? Idk yet.

And I don’t have any plants in it yet. :oops: but it’s in a somewhat shaded area next to the house so they haven’t gotten too hot but I do plan to add plants and yes, I think they would provide enough shade.
I am definitely curious how it turns out. It seems somewhat easier being outside.
My niece got a huge tank from offer up for dirt cheap but the filter it came with was broke, of course... so we bought her a new filter but, shes having trouble keeping it clean. I thought the filter helped with some of that but not quite. We also thought fish would be an easy start for her but she's lost a lot along the way.... I think she only has 2 or 3 now.
Sorry for the novel 😂🙈
It's okay! I don't mind :D

I am definitely curious how it turns out. It seems somewhat easier being outside.
My niece got a huge tank from offer up for dirt cheap but the filter it came with was broke, of course... so we bought her a new filter but, shes having trouble keeping it clean. I thought the filter helped with some of that but not quite. We also thought fish would be an easy start for her but she's lost a lot along the way.... I think she only has 2 or 3 now.

It's okay! I don't mind :D
I find it easier for sure! The bigger the tank (or pond), the more forgiving it tends to be because it doesn’t get dirty as fast or dangerous as fast so you don’t have to do as many water changes. I actually haven’t even really done any. Just top it off when it needs it but the rain has done a lot too. I do clean it and I’m a bit behind lately but it’s been pretty easy.

I find inside fish tend to be a lot of work. It’s why I don’t have any anymore. I got some bettas in November after not having any for years but they died this spring and I never got any more. I was going to but at the time I had 2 separate tanks for them (and a big bowl briefly for a third one who died before I could move him :( ) plus the goldfish tank so it was a lot 😂🤣 now that the goldfish are outside it’s easier but I don’t like inside tanks. Too much work.

I think if I ever did get another one I would get a huge one like a 29, 55, or a 75, something where I wouldn’t be doing a lot of water changes as often. Bigger tanks are actually surprisingly easier lol they don’t get unsafe as fast. I want a huge tropical community tank eventually.

Oh and goldfish are extremely messy so she may just need a bigger filter!!! I’m not sure if koi are as messy, I think they might be cleaner, but idk. What other fish does she have? Might be the combination of them maybe? I would try a bigger filter though. Or rinsing off the filter pad every so often. They usually need like double the recommended amount though haha but thankfully they are pretty forgiving fish.

And thanks! 😁

Back
Top Bottom