Crazy girl

I find it easier for sure! The bigger the tank (or pond), the more forgiving it tends to be because it doesn’t get dirty as fast or dangerous as fast so you don’t have to do as many water changes. I actually haven’t even really done any. Just top it off when it needs it but the rain has done a lot too. I do clean it and I’m a bit behind lately but it’s been pretty easy.

I find inside fish tend to be a lot of work. It’s why I don’t have any anymore. I got some bettas in November after not having any for years but they died this spring and I never got any more. I was going to but at the time I had 2 separate tanks for them (and a big bowl briefly for a third one who died before I could move him :( ) plus the goldfish tank so it was a lot 😂🤣 now that the goldfish are outside it’s easier but I don’t like inside tanks. Too much work.

I think if I ever did get another one I would get a huge one like a 29, 55, or a 75, something where I wouldn’t be doing a lot of water changes as often. Bigger tanks are actually surprisingly easier lol they don’t get unsafe as fast. I want a huge tropical community tank eventually.

Oh and goldfish are extremely messy so she may just need a bigger filter!!! I’m not sure if koi are as messy, I think they might be cleaner, but idk. What other fish does she have? Might be the combination of them maybe? I would try a bigger filter though. Or rinsing off the filter pad every so often. They usually need like double the recommended amount though haha but thankfully they are pretty forgiving fish.

And thanks! 😁
Goldfish are extremely messy.... and so we have learned!! I had a few a few (if not more) beta fish back when I was a kid. My sister's lived 4 years, and most of mine "accidentally" went down the drain. I had one live for a year, in a glass vase with a plant, forgot all about it so I barely fed it - and it got fin rot before I finally came to terms I wasn't ready for a fish 😂 but I could have sworn they weren't all that hard to keep alive.
My niece kept asking for all kinds of animals but reluctant to help care for a dog she promised to help with. So, I came up with this brilliant idea that if she could keep a fish alive for a year, we'd consider letting her get a tortoise or lizard, snake, etc. I can't count how many of them have died! 😓 but she's learning and trying her best so I'm proud of her for that. I think all her goldfish died and the koi and another type of fish are still living.
I heard koi get really big though so I'm just trying to get an idea that she could do.
I'll bug her for a picture.

Goldfish are extremely messy.... and so we have learned!! I had a few a few (if not more) beta fish back when I was a kid. My sister's lived 4 years, and most of mine "accidentally" went down the drain. I had one live for a year, in a glass vase with a plant, forgot all about it so I barely fed it - and it got fin rot before I finally came to terms I wasn't ready for a fish 😂 but I could have sworn they weren't all that hard to keep alive.
My niece kept asking for all kinds of animals but reluctant to help care for a dog she promised to help with. So, I came up with this brilliant idea that if she could keep a fish alive for a year, we'd consider letting her get a tortoise or lizard, snake, etc. I can't count how many of them have died! 😓 but she's learning and trying her best so I'm proud of her for that. I think all her goldfish died and the koi and another type of fish are still living.
I heard koi get really big though so I'm just trying to get an idea that she could do.
I'll bug her for a picture.
Oh wow! Seems your siblings were dumping them! Haha they’re definitely not hard to keep alive though as long as you keep up with water changes and a heat source but I just hate doing water changes 😂🤣 I had mine in 10 gallons with live plants lol they were spoiled! But even then it’s still a lot.

And oh wow that is a good idea! They do get huge though! Probably gonna need a pond or something eventually haha I think they get as big or bigger than goldfish but it might depend on the variety. But the stock tank ideas are fairly cheap and easy to set up. They have metal ones too.

I keep my pond goldfish in the basement in a 125 gallon tank during winter. I do large water changes around 2 times a month. Goldfish are fairly forgiving. I've never kept koi. The 3 foot long part puts me off. Goldfish get big enough.

I us hang on the back filters on my goldfish tanks. I rinse the filter on a regular basis, a couple times a week, and replace them every month or so. They do dirty up filters pretty quickly, so I learned to rinse the debris off to prolong their use. I use a garden sprayer to blast stuff off.

I us hang on the back filters on my goldfish tanks. I rinse the filter on a regular basis, a couple times a week, and replace them every month or so. They do dirty up filters pretty quickly, so I learned to rinse the debris off to prolong their use. I use a garden sprayer to blast stuff off.
That’s a good idea!! They do get them nasty fast lol

I keep my pond goldfish in the basement in a 125 gallon tank during winter. I do large water changes around 2 times a month. Goldfish are fairly forgiving. I've never kept koi. The 3 foot long part puts me off. Goldfish get big enough.
They get to three feet :eek:

Idk what I’m going to do with mine. I cracked their tank (although barely and I never tested it to see if it held water) so idk.

Can I just put a deicer in it or something or cut a hole in the ice?

Oh wow! Seems your siblings were dumping them! Haha they’re definitely not hard to keep alive though as long as you keep up with water changes and a heat source but I just hate doing water changes 😂🤣 I had mine in 10 gallons with live plants lol they were spoiled! But even then it’s still a lot.

And oh wow that is a good idea! They do get huge though! Probably gonna need a pond or something eventually haha I think they get as big or bigger than goldfish but it might depend on the variety. But the stock tank ideas are fairly cheap and easy to set up. They have metal ones too.
Omgoodness so much water. I wonder how many gallons hers is but for some reason I have these irrational fears that something will happen and the tank will tip over causing glass and water to go everywhere.
3ft long?! Ohhhh man that's big.
That's smart, I wonder if hers is a type that can be rinsed off. I'm new to this filter tank stuff... growing up, I only knew glass bowls and vases.

Omgoodness so much water. I wonder how many gallons hers is but for some reason I have these irrational fears that something will happen and the tank will tip over causing glass and water to go everywhere.

3ft long?! Ohhhh man that's big.

That's smart, I wonder if hers is a type that can be rinsed off. I'm new to this filter tank stuff... growing up, I only knew glass bowls and vases.
My goldfish one was a 20 long lol and I had both 10s in my room so it would have been 20 spilling lol I would worry having a huge 75 or something :eek:

But the tanks don’t usually tip over. They’re actually quite hard to move once filled lol especially once you add the substrate on the bottom and everything. They are heavy as heck! Haha I guess they could potentially be hit or something though and crack.

And yeah we used to to! But they are so much happier and healthier with more room lol although they don’t necessarily need 10. I just spoil mine and the tanks were on sale 😂🤣 but I wouldn’t go below like 2.5 for a betta I don’t think. Even that’s pushing it lol I like 5 or of course 10 with plants and maybe other fish in it though I didn’t have any. But I always feel bad for the fish in the little teeny cups at the stores lol or the tiny tiny things they sell.

They get to three feet :eek:

Idk what I’m going to do with mine. I cracked their tank (although barely and I never tested it to see if it held water) so idk.

Can I just put a deicer in it or something or cut a hole in the ice?
They say you can either use a heater or keep a hole open in the ice. I don't have experience with that, so I can't advise.

Back
Top Bottom