Crazy Girls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by audioguy, Oct 22, 2012.

1. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Not sure what the heck is going on, but with the molting going on and egg production down, one of the hens is getting very aggressive towards the other hens. They have been molting for the last few weeks and look kinda gangly and to say, kinda ugly.
    Not sure why one is getting aggressive, but I might have to separate her to prevent injury.

I noticed last evening that there was a lot of commotion in the coop and watched as this one aggressive bird would not allow the other chicks to gain access to the roost. The other birds wound up sleeping in the nest boxes. There are feathers all over the place too!

They are all EE. Last winter they continued to lay, but this year they stopped completely.

Any ideas or are they just weird birds!?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They get very cranky when they molt. It's temporary and should resolve itself when they are feeling less miserable.

3. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Thanks
    They were at it again this morning! The aggressive one is the most ugly, so that might have something to do with it!! HA! Luckily there are no mirrors around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by