Crazy gun toting neighbour and his dogs

KhalSancho

Songster
Dec 16, 2019
Wyberba, Australia
So, we’re moving onto my partners Mums property. I’ve ordered a heavy duty dog run for a temporary fix and I’ve got a small coop already that will suffice. Here’s my problem:

we’ll be out on the far side of the property next to an old war veteran who is literally bonkers.He shoots his gun all day everyday and he’s now decided to let his dogs roam free.. meaning they come onto her Mums property and harass her chooks and ducks and dogs and will eat the chooks if they have the chance. They’ve already killed quite a few animals... The man can not be spoken to and WILL NOT tie his dogs up. I’m going to wire the top and bottom of my cages but I’ve got some nice show birds and I don’t want to risk it. We can’t really call council because the neighbor can have a go at her Mum for things If he really wanted to be an ass.. which he is. We also have a new baby and our dog and I don’t want to be afraid and confined in my house. They’re apparently crazy cattle dogs and you “shouldn’t even get close to them”. I love all animals and I don’t want to do anything like trap and relocate or bait.. but with the man being a lunatic, talking like civilised people isn’t an option either. Like I’m concerned about my chooks but at this point they’re so nuts I have to worry about my family’s safety as well. Any advice?

Wow! Hot wire can protect your birds, but for the people ? All that I can think of is an enclosed area in perhaps the back yard also protected by hot wire so that your child is safe. Good luck this sounds like an untenable position to be in. Ironic that my wife and I just found a ledger that she wrote on a trip to Australia/New Zealand for our 40th anniversary. One recurring theme was the high caliber of the folks that we met in each country. I thought that we had a higher preponderance of nutjobs here in the US. :old

So, we’re moving onto my partners Mums property. I’ve ordered a heavy duty dog run for a temporary fix and I’ve got a small coop already that will suffice. Here’s my problem:

we’ll be out on the far side of the property next to an old war veteran who is literally bonkers.He shoots his gun all day everyday and he’s now decided to let his dogs roam free.. meaning they come onto her Mums property and harass her chooks and ducks and dogs and will eat the chooks if they have the chance. They’ve already killed quite a few animals... The man can not be spoken to and WILL NOT tie his dogs up. I’m going to wire the top and bottom of my cages but I’ve got some nice show birds and I don’t want to risk it. We can’t really call council because the neighbor can have a go at her Mum for things If he really wanted to be an ass.. which he is. We also have a new baby and our dog and I don’t want to be afraid and confined in my house. They’re apparently crazy cattle dogs and you “shouldn’t even get close to them”. I love all animals and I don’t want to do anything like trap and relocate or bait.. but with the man being a lunatic, talking like civilised people isn’t an option either. Like I’m concerned about my chooks but at this point they’re so nuts I have to worry about my family’s safety as well. Any advice?
How are you going to live with a baby, next to someone that shoots their gun all day , every day? Electric fence would work to keep the dogs out and give you the ability to keep your chickens and allow you to go outside without worrying about being attacked, but sounds like trouble in the making with that neighbor.

How are you going to live with a baby, next to someone that shoots their gun all day , every day? Electric fence would work to keep the dogs out and give you the ability to keep your chickens and allow you to go outside without worrying about being attacked, but sounds like trouble in the making with that neighbor.
Fortunately we’re on close to a hundred acres and he is as well so although we are the closest for our fence line.. he’s still a decent ways away and it sounds like a little 22 or something. The gun is more annoying and in the ways of approaching to have a conversation, intimidating. The dogs are my real concern because they don’t mind going for a hike for some potential feed. Unfortunately with all that’s going on at the moment it’s our only option

Back
Top Bottom