Crazy Question ....lol

cristina33

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
ma
Ok I am not very handy ok I am not handy at all but.....Could I make a window out of a picture frame on a coop. If I caulked the back of the frame and the front where the glass meets the wood and carfefully nailed the wood frame to the coop and caulked around that would it could it work???

Cristina

I bought a used coop from a friend and it has some windows made from picture frames. She put hardware cloth across the openings, and the attached the picture frames with hinges so you can prop them open for ventilation.

Yes you can! My husband made me a chicken tractor and put an 8X10 picture frame in it for the window. Just nailed it to it (very carefully). He used the picture frame that has the wood dividers in the middle where it actually looks like a window. He put it right in front of the nest box so when the hens are laying their eggs, you can see them through the "window". Too cute!

Sounds like a great idea.
thumbsup.gif

If you are willing to do all that work why not just put a regular window in? The glass will be thicker and if you are lucky you can find a window that has the screen and you can have extra ventilation in the summer. Just make sure to cover the outside with hardware cloth to keep out racoons and such.

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I dont know how to put in a window thats why I was thinking picture frame LOL I know Im a dork !

Cristina,
"Chicken people" are mostly dorks! I know I am..... So you are in good company.

Heck you can nail the window on the front carefully just like the picture frame... Or you can have the byc gang step you through the process. If you are in the NE then the window may give you some more flexibility with heating and cooling..... Or.... You could also just staple up some clear plastic sheeting that is super easy way to get some light inside... Or.. get a sheet of plexi glass from the hardware store and attach it.. Or use your picture frame it would look cool I am sure.. Aclectic coops are awsome!
ON

Back
Top Bottom