Crazy things your chickens do?

cjhixon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Bonsall, CA
I couldn't train a chicken to do this if I tried my whole life. Penny, our first RIR, follows me to the house when I let her out of the coup each morning. She follows me inside and walks over to our book case in the family room. (This piece of furniture is from italy. It was actually meant for the kitchen. It has a small space on the bottom to keep a chicken or two. I guess they used to keep chickens inside? Anyway, we use it for the book case and I leave the board off that is used to keep the chickens in.) Penny sits in there until she lays her egg and then goes outside to find the rest of our flock. HOW COOL IS THAT? Fresh eggs delivered!! She is in there now. Penny is one funny chicken.

What crazy things do your chickens do?

My girls do alot of crazy things---too many to post now--like my EE will preen my hair in evening when I go down and sit with them before bedtime..(maybe not so crazy to some) I like it...my hubby thinks I'm crazy or stupid) LOL...But I think that is so cool..To bad she can't train the others to bring you their eggs every morning...LOL

My two younger chicks (18 1/2 weeks) will follow me up to my back door and when I don't let them in with me they will "knock" on the door with their beaks! Silly chickies!
smile.png

When we are sitting on our patio furniture our chickens will come and either jump on our lap or sit next to us. There has even been "debates" between our toy poodles and the chickens as to who gets to sit where.
tongue.png

Can't view photo's, old computer:(
Sounds really cute though. Our son managed to break our kitchen cupboard doors clean off. And we can't find new hinges, as it's an old cupboard. The hens decided this is a wonderful place to lay eggs. So I get mine delivered to the kitchen:lol:
Last night I was just falling asleep when I felt something bumping my back, very gently. Confused, I rolled over and found my two youngest pullets, who sleep inside, looking very guilty. They obviously thought I was sleeping and sneaked onto our bed. I wouldn't have known if one of them didn't have an itch. Her scratching woke me.
I'll post more as I remember. The chickens are such a part of our household, we find everything normal!

Last edited:
Every single time I look or turn my head towards my oldest EE, she squats.
hu.gif
It's the weirdest thing, my other two layers do not squat that easily.

Back
Top Bottom