CRAZY water slurping- spitting Runners!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cottage Rose, Jun 9, 2010.

1. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Those runners sure do love to play in the water!

I've been building breeding pens and a large play area for runners complete with their own filtered pond. In the pens I cut out a 16 inch diameter hole in the floor and put hardware cloth down to let the water fall through onto pea gravel with a runoff drain.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I have a tarp over the top of them and they are about 10' from the fronch porch on the lawn....... makes for good scenery in my neighborhood.

3. happydog

happydog Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I just logged on to ask this same question! My runners are only a few days old. They've completely soaked their brooder box (which they're sharing with chicks) to the point where water's running out the bottom. Yuck. Their bedding and poop is all soaked and getting the chicks soaked too. I'll have to find something like a roasting pan, I guess.

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I put a cookie sheet over a cake pan and set the waterer on that. The water stays in the pan and not on the floor. It helped with the soggy mess a but. Luckily it's already hot out here in the desert and mine are outside full time. (I keep a heat lamp on them at night). I just cant get over how fast they grow!!! Mine are almost 4 weeks old. I just love them.

5. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Nosey - they grow faster than weeds at that point - sometimes I swore that mine grew an inch overnight!!

6. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    So far this year, I have brooded Muscovies, Kahkis, Pekin, and now Bantams and Runners. You were spoiled with the Muscovies [​IMG] They are by far neater with water than any of the other breeds have been so far IMO. The ten Muscovies made by far less mess than the four Kahkis I had in the brooder just before them.

7. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Lol I truley dont get it lol I put a red waterer in with 3 day old Cayuga ducklings before I went to bed I woke up and ther were standing water and the waterer was bone dry! Is this kinda the issue your having I guess thats the way it is lol

Ryan

8. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Mine are 2 weeks old and I'm having the same problem. Crazy how they can make such a mess!! I can't wait til they can go out with the big ducks! LOL

9. ultasol

ultasol Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Don't brood them with chicks! Wet chicks easily leads to chilled chicks, which leads to dead chicks. Not to mention the wetness simply begs for coccidiosis, and the ducks will grow faster than the chicks but have the coordination of a drunken toddler and will run into/over the chicks, stressing them.

10. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    LOL @ drunken toddler!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: