CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

I would say that his statements are correct. MG is supposedly very common and some experts say 75% of backyard flocks have it. Some folks dispute these claims. I tend to believe that it is very common since it can transmit through the egg in about 10% of the eggs and it can be carried by wild birds just flying through. Hatcheries can be tested for MG and sell MG free birds, but the testing is very expensive and every single bird has to be tested every 3 months. If hatcherys did this the price of their birds would likely be more than folks would be willing to pay. I would also reccomend Denagard to treat your birds. It's supposed to be really effective on MG. I didn't think the price was all that bad considering that for a small flock the bottle would last a good long time. I hope this helps you.

Sounds to me that damage is already done. However, we have been keeping the birds in sepereate rooms and been washing hands between kennels. They are kept in dog kennels, while my husband is building the coop. I'm not sure if they could have spread it or no to the others. Regardless, they are pets and we will not be selling birds, chicks, or hatching eggs. We are only consuming eggs. Is it dangerous or unadvisable to consume eggs from birds with this? If so, we'll have to make the decision to cull (have no idea how to do ths humanely). If not, we'll treat and hope they get better.

Thank you for all your advise! What a learning experience this has been!

The eggs are fine to eat even if they have MG. If you treat with any antibiotic you will want to not eat them for 3 weeks after the last dose. Kind-of a pain and why some folks don't want to deal with it. You can scramble the eggs and feed them back to the flock. Lots of good protein for them and the eggs are not wasted.

Quote:
Actually, the only drug with an egg-withdrawal period that I heard of is Duramycin. Denagard does not have a withdrawal period. Also, if you do use Duramycin, do NOT feed the eggs back to the flock! Just toss them. You do not want to create an antibiotic-resistance in your birds, and feeding small amounts of antibiotic in the eggs could give the bacteria a chance to develop a resistance. Don't feed the eggs to anything, just toss them
smile.png

Let me know if you have any questions about managing a CRD flock, since I've got one too
wink.png
. They are not suffering and everyone is thriving now that the symptoms are gone. I actually DID get my sickness from a hatchery...and went to several feed stores in the area and everyone was sneezing. It's everywhere, you just have to manage it.

Quote:
URI can travel miles in the air. It can travel on your clothes and shoes. So if you have fed or watered the sick birds and didnt wash your hands or change you clothes, You could have exposed your others. If you are going to cull them, Wait to build the coop. To be safe I would bleach it with 50/50 water/ bleach solution just in case. I waited a few weeks before moving new birds into my coop after I cleaned it. Just to be safe. I also white washed mine with Lime and spread lime on the field as well. I am sorry you are going thru this. I have been there and it was really hard. I paid a lot of money for the flock I bought. They all seemed fine until I brought them home. The stress of moving them brought out the symptoms. I was going to keep them. But after submitting 2 for the state vet to perform necropsy on, They told me how bad it was and I even gave them Duramycin and Tylan and still made the decision to cull. It was tough but I would always know they were sick and I could never have new healthy birds.

It was my understanding that Bleach wasn't the best route and Oxine was the way to go?

The statement on URI can travel miles in the air has me perplexed. Most have backyard flocks open to the environment, from what I've read just about any bird can carry certain URI strains. What prevents them from spreading this to chickens when they are in the general vicinity of our flocks? I placed my coop under a large tree in my backyard, there is a white wing nesting 5 ft away from the coop. This tree has had several various wild bird flocks roosting in it at different times throughout the year. The ones that frustrate me are the grackles that I use my pellet gun to deal with them. My flock seemed to develop sneezing and coughing issues after placing the 6 week olds in the new coop, coincidence? My neighbor also has chickens, 50 yards away from mine and his are showing no symptons? Both of our flocks came from the same hatchery via different feed stores.

Either way I treated with duramycin and it did very little if anything at all, I believe the dosage was 1/8 tsp per qt of water. I then ran a full 10 days of Baytril, the original bird to show signs is still showing mild symptoms. I'm assuming that bird wasn't drinking as much water as the others. I'm now faced with culling that bird or trying another treatment away from the flock since I'm hesitant to run another round of Baytril.

Am I to assume that since these birds are sick , they are automatic carriers and my other birds will get sick once introduced to them? If there is no way around this, should I just introduce them now and treat everyone? If I have two separate coops for them, but place the coops next to each other I am assuming they are still at risk?

Quote:
Actually, the only drug with an egg-withdrawal period that I heard of is Duramycin. Denagard does not have a withdrawal period. Also, if you do use Duramycin, do NOT feed the eggs back to the flock! Just toss them. You do not want to create an antibiotic-resistance in your birds, and feeding small amounts of antibiotic in the eggs could give the bacteria a chance to develop a resistance. Don't feed the eggs to anything, just toss them
smile.png

Let me know if you have any questions about managing a CRD flock, since I've got one too
wink.png
. They are not suffering and everyone is thriving now that the symptoms are gone. I actually DID get my sickness from a hatchery...and went to several feed stores in the area and everyone was sneezing. It's everywhere, you just have to manage it.

You are right that denagard does not have a withdrawal period. It is not correct that duramycin is the only one that does. All the other antibiotics it has been recoomended that you toss the eggs for 3 weeks. Denagard is the one exception to the rule. Denagard does not cause antibiotic resistance so you could feed the eggs back to your flock if you wanted to. Not sure I would feed them to another animal though since that hasn't been studied. If the birds are already getting an antibiotic the trace amounts they might get in the egg is not going to matter. The bacteria are already being exposed to it. When you have finished the last dose you would not want them to get the trace amounts after that. Denagard does keep you from having to worry about all this anyway and it has been studied with poultry. It's all clear as mud I am sure.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes. It is safe to assume they are carriers and all your other bids will get sick and will become carriers. If they are not showing any symptoms and you plan to keep them (I advise against it) then you can introduce them at any time. Most people say to quarintine for 2-3 weeks but you already know your birds are sick so I dont see where its needed. Honestly, I hope these 2 birds are really worth all the future hassle.

About use of bleach. I have used bleach and was instructed by the state vet to use it. I am not ordering Oxine when I can buy bleach at the store and always have it on hand. I sanitize everything with a 50/50 bleach solution. Waterers, feeders and coops. I also use Dehydrated Lime to paint my coops with a white wash. I highly recc it. It cost me $7 and about 2 hours and it brights the coop up and protects from bugs and mites.

Here is a great link for whitewashing

http://tinyfarmblog.com/liming-the-chickenhouse/

Back
Top Bottom