Dosage for Tyclosin 500 for crd

Bella101

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to give my chickens the tyclosin 500 to treat crd. But I dont know what the dosage should be and don't understand the instructions for dosages on the packaging. Can anyone tell me how much I should put in thier water. I'm using a powder, I will include a picture of the medicine. Thank you!

Attachments

• 16856547881977437757697293246870.jpg
    16856547881977437757697293246870.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 79
I'm going through similar symptoms with my chickens, I tried to vetrx and other herbs. It didn't do much so I did some more research and found that chicken owners will treat respiratory diseases with danagard. It's a medicine for pigs with respiratory illness. You can get it on Amazon. All birds except for 1 got better. I now have the 1 in a tent inside and I'm still trying to figure out how to nurse her back to health. But the danegard worked great for the other chickens.

I bought tylan 50 from this website if you need it https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/tylan-50-200-liquid
I Also bought the powder from the web link I found
in one of your other replies. I saw a youtube video that said you could kill you chickens pretty easily by administering medicine orally. That if it goes down the wrong way, it would kill them..is this true? If I do the powder, what should the dosage be?
Hi @Bella101 can I ask you a couple of questions?
In previous posts you mentioned that you have Denagard (Tiamulin) and also purchased Tylan50. You also purchased Tylosin powder which is what I assume you want the dosing for.

You treated your birds with Tiamulin correct and saw improvement.

Did you treat with the Tylan50 as well? If so, was there improvement or not? Tylosin is the same as Tylan but the powder is put into the water. Giving a direct oral dose of Tylan50 at 0.25ml per pound of weight, three times a day for 5 days, would be more effective than putting the powder in the water, you would be depending on a sick bird to drink enough of the medicated water on her own for it to be beneficial and if she's not drinking, then you will need to give the mixed water orally by syringe or tube it into her.

Anyway. From what I can gather from the package. Dosing for the Tyclosin500 is to add 1 gram of the granules to 1 liter of water. For chicks that are 1-3 days old give for 3 days in a row. If they are older, give for 1 day. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how I read it.
Hopefully someone like @casportpony @Eggcessive or @coach723 can take a look to see if they agree or read something different.

1685678157664.png

Those instructions are really unclear! Someone needs to fix the label, honestly, clear for swine, everything else is in code (bad code)!
This is from Drugs.com for tylosin tartrate (which is what Tyclosin 500 is):

"Chickens should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds."

Here is the link: https://www.drugs.com/vet/tylosin-tartrate-soluble-powder.html

So I would use the dilution on the package and treat for 3 days.
Maybe that label means 3days; one treatment cycle? Even the numbers under "age" make no sense to me. It's normally dosed by weight, not by age anyway.

I agree that your product from Ukraine is unclear in dosage. The label says it is 50% Tylosin. Most tylosin powder or Tylan is 99-100% and is 100 grams per container. Those have a dosage of 1 tsp or 5 grams per gallon of water. Or 1/4 tsp per quart/liter. With your product 50% in strength, I would double it to 1/2 tsp per quart, or 2 tsp per gallon.

Hi @Bella101 can I ask you a couple of questions?
In previous posts you mentioned that you have Denagard (Tiamulin) and also purchased Tylan50. You also purchased Tylosin powder which is what I assume you want the dosing for.

You treated your birds with Tiamulin correct and saw improvement.

Did you treat with the Tylan50 as well? If so, was there improvement or not? Tylosin is the same as Tylan but the powder is put into the water. Giving a direct oral dose of Tylan50 at 0.25ml per pound of weight, three times a day for 5 days, would be more effective than putting the powder in the water, you would be depending on a sick bird to drink enough of the medicated water on her own for it to be beneficial and if she's not drinking, then you will need to give the mixed water orally by syringe or tube it into her.

Anyway. From what I can gather from the package. Dosing for the Tyclosin500 is to add 1 gram of the granules to 1 liter of water. For chicks that are 1-3 days old give for 3 days in a row. If they are older, give for 1 day. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how I read it.
Hopefully someone like @casportpony @Eggcessive or @coach723 can take a look to see if they agree or read something different.

View attachment 3526329
So far I did do a danagard treatment, from the video I watched he said you would have to do it once a month every month. I tried doing tylan50, we did a few doses but it was too hard to administer the medication. Symptoms did get better though. But we had a chicken who was doing fine and then noticed she wasn't coming out of the coop anymore. We thought maybe she was egg bound and did an epsom salt bath. But I don't feel any egg in there, its possible there is an egg I'm just not checking correctly. But we thought also maybe it was the crd that was causing her to not have energy so we were going to to the powder in the water treatment to see if that helps her. Maybe we should just do the danagard treatment since its been about a month now since the last one?

So far I did do a danagard treatment, from the video I watched he said you would have to do it once a month every month. I tried doing tylan50, we did a few doses but it was too hard to administer the medication. Symptoms did get better though. But we had a chicken who was doing fine and then noticed she wasn't coming out of the coop anymore. We thought maybe she was egg bound and did an epsom salt bath. But I don't feel any egg in there, its possible there is an egg I'm just not checking correctly. But we thought also maybe it was the crd that was causing her to not have energy so we were going to to the powder in the water treatment to see if that helps her. Maybe we should just do the danagard treatment since its been about a month now since the last one?
Once you get the hang of it, administering medication orally is not too hard. The article below will walk your through it, the photos are informative.

Denagard treats Mycoplasma in poultry and yes, some people give the Denagard for 3 days each month to help keep symptoms under control.

Mycoplasma could be part of the reason your hen is not doing well, it can affect their overall health and reproductive system.

What symptoms are you seeing with her? Is she having respiratory symptoms? You mention you had thought she was egg bound, did you feel for an egg? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen? Is she pooping? Crop emptying? Any lice/mites? Worms?

If she's lethargic, then you'll want to check her really well. See that she's getting fluids and offer her something to eat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom