CRD - I just dont get it...

When I had an event, I used the duramycin before the birds got to bad. Once I noticed that there was snot, and they were still fairly active and drinking. I used the tylan 50 when they aren't, or I am too slow at noticing. I ended up with birds getting sick last winter, and some it hit harder than others, and I used the aureomycin crumbles in their feed too. I used tylan 50 on the worse cases along with the aureomycin in the feed. Most the birds just the aureomycin. The FFH here in my town keeps that on the shelf pretty heavily during the winter months, not so much the summer.

Gracious Casport, I love the avie!

For standard birds....

you want 1/2 a cc/ml. You can put it in the beak if you are squeamish about injecting in the breast. Otherwise, in the breast, alternate sides daily. (Diabetics will know the pain of injecting in the same spot..same as with the bird) If you are going to do it orally, be sure to not SHOOT it in the beak, you an aspirate your bird.

For bantys it is 1/4 cc/ml

If you use a standard super fine insulin needle, most of them are already 1 cc or 100 units. Be sure which needles you have if you are going to use a diabetic needle. I use them super fine 100 unit (1cc) needles since the needle is the shortest and finest I have found. (That and my dad left me boxes when he passed away)

Some may not agree with this, but I will post it anyway, everyone has a right to make their own decision. If you are injecting a substantial amount of birds, it really can be a pain in the tuckus to use so many needles. Have a person help you and between injections on each bird, clean the needle with an alcohol wipe. Discard the needle than after you've done the birds, don't use it again the next day, use a fresh one.

I'd also like to note that some directions call for the tylan 50 to also be injected subcutaneously (under the skin) in the same amount that goes in the muscle or orally. I have not done this my self personally with any birds that I have had to treat for any of the multiple CRD issues that can arise. I have always just did it orally, since I am on my own when it comes to this stuff.

goodpost.gif

A few more questions about this disease, and Coryza for that matter, since they both are kind of similar. Are there any diseases that resemble these, but are not them? Perhaps something that is not contagious. Also, I have read that all birds are carriers of these diseases, but some have resistance to them. I have also read the opposite of this.

hi roo boy, got my meds today, are urs not getting any better? i also have a couple not sick. i allso have a bantem that i thought was going to be rare, i dont have a scale but its about a fourth the size of my smallest bantem and its about 5 months old. so researching this , i found out that it can cause dwarfs in the embro so its been in my flock longer than i thought or i have one cool chicken. allso its been in with the guineas all this time with no signs of sickness

Back
Top Bottom