Crd?

Burton Wyandotte 601

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Georgia
What can I use to get rid of CRD in one of my hens? I have been useing Terramycin soluble powder, is this the best stuff I can use to get rid of this? of is their anything better. She has heavy breathing, is very hot, has a runny nose, and the area around her eye is swollen. Mainly under the eye. Thanks

Last edited:
Read my byc page. CRD is not uncommon although some would like to make you think so. Don't cull your birds, the wild ones have it too. Not only that, no breeders or egg swap folks are MS clear- or atleast show paper work that they have been tested.
You should only give these guys Terramycin if she is showing signs of a secondary infection. Cough, sniffle, let it run its course until they are down, listless and not eating as much. Then don't wait to long, if it makes sense.
Good luck, and if you have one with it, they all have it but like usual, it will not show unless there are conditions like stress or weather changes can trigger this, like the common cold, its a virus and antibiotics do not help virus'.
I had a bird necropsied this summer to see what I missed in this birds death, and it was terramycin resistant pneaumonia. Please be careful.

You'll find differing opinions on this one. Some hatcheries would have you believe that every flock in the country has it--absolutely not true. Birds I have sold have been tested by the new owner and found to be mycoplasma-free. Spook and I have talked about it at length. I breed and sell hatching eggs, so I will cull if I ever get this in my flock. The fact is that once they have it, they always have it. If you do sell, you should always disclose that they may be carriers, but if you just keep them till they pass on and do not sell birds, eggs, etc, you can certainly treat/keep them if you want to.
Wild birds can have it and pass it, however, I believe wholeheartedly that it is more rare than folks think to catch it from wild birds, unless you have them eating and living inside your coops. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics in birds anymore than they do in humans, so it won't do any good to treat with them.

You should disinfect your pen. I would use Hydrated Lime on the ground. After putting it out, use a rake to scratch it in the ground. Applying lime 2 or 3 times a year will keep a lot of diseases away. Afterwards, use a disinfectant on the wire and in and around the chicken house.
If the infected chickens sound like they are rattling, try a little Vet RX down the throat and in the nostrils. If they need medicating, try Spectam.

it wont go away bcause they never really get rid of it. This particular bird must be really struggling to overcome it and put it back in "remission" They shed CRD (Mg or Ms) when they are showing symptoms so take precausions to not let her spread it to the others.

there are several ways to deal with it. Culling any birds that show symptoms is one way to weed it out of the flock.

Closing your flock and treating infected birds is another way

Yes Mg and Ms are around quiet a bit but no, i dont think they get it too often from wild birds but things can spread that way (there is a BYC member who is dealing with canker and through research found out that it is very strong and common this year in her area among the wild bird poulation)

whatever you do please let people know when and if you decide to sell birds or the eggs. CRD is a common problem but there is no need to spread it around further. I am not saying you would I am just saying in general.

Well, I hope that is the case, not to speak about Maine, everyone thinks we are terrible people and disease ridden but in 1980 when the first testing for AI, every caught wild bird and most of the hatcheries that the state Vet spoke to do not have to test birds for MG. MS now is a horrible killing virus.
Unfortunately if you live in the part of the state that I do, we have it, wild birds have it and really no way to prevent it without closed flocks that never go outside. MS can lay dorment. I have had 3 or 4 show signs, but others never have had a problem. So I could go on assuming I have a "Clean" flock when I don't as it was passed transovarian from parents away from the flock. Eh, its do or don't and one of those questions you should always ask your breeder or hatchery, and neighbors!
Its carried on clothes, shoes, feed bags, and everything in my area anyways.
Good luck and take care!

Back
Top Bottom