Do they go broody?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Jan 12, 2019
Curious if anyone is breeding these?

Some describe this Dutch breed as gentle and docile others say shy / flighty. Any additional comments? Can they be handled?

Do you know what size the hens are / what they weigh?

Do they go broody? It appears they do well is heat and cold.

Are they good in confinement?

Any sources for chicks?

Thank you

KARL

Attachments

• Cream Brabanters 2.jpg
    Cream Brabanters 2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Cream Brabanters hens.jpg
    Cream Brabanters hens.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Cream Brabanters hen.jpg
    Cream Brabanters hen.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
Brabanters are one of my favorite. Good layers, Leghorn or slightly smaller body type around 4# hens. Never broody in 4 years. Have hatch EEs out of them (araucana rooster) and they are fun colorful layers. Mine have not been flighty. More PIA inquisitive. Always trying to get in the kitchen and steal dog food. Chicks have been more delicate then DP breeds.
I have been lucky enough to be able to pick up chicks at a local feed store. The quality is hit and miss (mostly too much Polish influence). Look for breeders online .eggs on eBay and FB groups. Sand Hill might still sell Brabanters.

Jumping in late --

I love brabanters. They are "flighty" in that they are very alert, but they are also bold and intelligent -- not like some idiot leghorns and anconas I've had. Unlike Percheron Chick, I haven't had any problems with the chicks. And I don't have any problems picking them up, though I don't go around cuddling them. I've never had any go broody.

Although I keep my birds in enclosed pens due to coyotes/weasels/foxes/raccoons/you name it, I had three girls who escaped their pen and lived all summer roaming loose among my dogs last year -- and one who is doing that right now. So if anyone was interested in free-ranging their birds, I think brabanters in general would be good at it.

Amazondocs2, thank you so much for your response. I have 2 hens now. I thoroughly enjoy their personalities. I found mine at Ideal Poultry https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1598/44 They sell day old sexed chicks.

Jumping in late --

I love brabanters. They are "flighty" in that they are very alert, but they are also bold and intelligent -- not like some idiot leghorns and anconas I've had. Unlike Percheron Chick, I haven't had any problems with the chicks. And I don't have any problems picking them up, though I don't go around cuddling them. I've never had any go broody.

Although I keep my birds in enclosed pens due to coyotes/weasels/foxes/raccoons/you name it, I had three girls who escaped their pen and lived all summer roaming loose among my dogs last year -- and one who is doing that right now. So if anyone was interested in free-ranging their birds, I think brabanters in general would be good at it.

Hi,
I am considering the Cream Brabanter breed. However, they look almost exactly like my Silver Spangled Appenzellers, except for the muffs. I can't imagine that they are not related. Switzerland is not that far away from Holland. Can anyone tell me the difference between the breeds? I also wonder if because they are an import if they are not somewhat inbred and weak. I notice that the Appenzellers are a bit more fragile than my other chicken breeds. I am nursing one with Wry Neck and one recently succumbed to a tumor in its eye. I've also noticed the Appenzellers take longer to mature and lay. I don't think its my imagination. I still love the breed as they are my best layers, regardless of how they love to sleep in my trees. I think if you can train them to lay in a nest box, they are really worth the trouble.

They are similar, and they probably are related. Both are ancient breeds, though, so there’s no telling how they were originally created!

I like the brabanters very much. In personality they are quick and very alert, but not idiots. I have never noticed them having any hardiness issues, and the few times I’ve had escapees they have been the best at surviving free range.

So far as I know there are no silver spangled brabanters in the US, but it is an accepted variety in the Netherlands. Maybe you could be the first to import some!

I am also late to this party. I absolutely LOVE my Brabanters. They are by far my favorite birds. After having them for a mere six months, I have decided that they are the only breed of standard fowl that I will keep moving forward. The are curious, intelligent, super friendly, super tough, and beautiful. My group of five sprint up to me when I walk into the chicken field. They always want to hop up on a shoulder or an arm. They are the only breed I've ever had that will jump fences, AND remember how to get back in. In a free ranging set up, they are impossible to contain. My fences don't even slow them down. Luckily, they don't tend to want to escape so it's not become an issue.

There is a lot of inconsistency with their looks because the breed actually went extinct, and was recreated using a variety of bearded, muffed, and crested breeds. Because of that, there is a whole lot of variation, such as muffless and beardless specimens. It might be tough to come by high quality breeding stock, but as far as a backyard bird goes, one can't get better than these gals. They are well worth having around.

My girls. The last two lack beards and muffs, but are beautiful birds all the same.
20191116_152926 (1).jpg
20191116_152351 (1).jpg
20191116_152935 (1).jpg
20191116_153334 (1).jpg

I just ordered some of these last night. Two cream and two gold pullets along with 4 straight run Birchen Cochin bantams just because I love the look of them. Very excited to try the Brabanters. Heard a lot of good things. Excited for the Cochins too - never had any. Got a mid April hatch date. Can’t come soon enough. :pop

Back
Top Bottom