Cream Legbar - 10 months, still hasn't laid an egg

Jun 8, 2021
Hi All -

We got three chickens exactly 10 months ago (March 2023) - a cream legbar, a blue australorp, and a black australorp. The black and blue australorps began laying in September and October, but the cream legbar has not started laying yet. She has a bright red comb, but doesn't squat. We thought that maybe she would begin laying in late fall but she never did. We live in New England, and our hens took a break from November to December, but have been laying again recently. We thought she would start, but hasn't. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this? Will she lay in the spring?

Hi All -

We got three chickens exactly 10 months ago (March 2023) - a cream legbar, a blue australorp, and a black australorp. The black and blue australorps began laying in September and October, but the cream legbar has not started laying yet. She has a bright red comb, but doesn't squat. We thought that maybe she would begin laying in late fall but she never did. We live in New England, and our hens took a break from November to December, but have been laying again recently. We thought she would start, but hasn't. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this? Will she lay in the spring?
My flock of 9 is the same age, all started laying by end of summer/early fall except my prairie Bluebell. And every day, still no blue egg, just attitude 😏

However! Yesterday she squatted for me!! :ya
:pop come on girl, you can do this!
LoL, try to be patient, not me 😁

I got five day old chicks just a week or two later in early April. One is laying and has laid all winter. One laid a few eggs then stopped as the days got shorter. One laid, went broody a week later, molted, and hasn’t started laying again. And two haven’t started laying.
Last year I had one that took 11 months before she laid an egg.
They lay when they are ready and apparently not when I need eggs!

I also have a creme legbar who is almost a year old and hasn't laid in almost 5 months. She started laying in late July and stopped 1st week of September. She is friendly, has always kept a bright-colored comb, and did not go through a molt this winter like my other chickens did. She is the only one not laying. She looks perfectly healthy but it's driving me crazy because I think something is wrong with her.

She might. Or she could be a dud. Hard to say without a little more time. If she doesn't start laying once spring has arrived then it's likely that she simply won't.
Well, that is interesting. I have one 11 month old who hasn’t started Laying and it never occurred to me that a chicken wouldn’t eventually lay an egg ! Oh well, I guess she can get by on her good looks alone😊

Well, that is interesting. I have one 11 month old who hasn’t started Laying and it never occurred to me that a chicken wouldn’t eventually lay an egg ! Oh well, I guess she can get by on her good looks alone😊
I have a legitimate dud that only gets away with it because we don't really need that many eggs. If she has laid, it's maybe 2 eggs tops, but it's much more likely that she's never laid (and she's nearly 4 yrs old).

Hi All -

My polish just started at 10 months. sometimes they like to wait until spring when it warms up a bit. Don’t give up hope yet.

Back
Top Bottom