Cream Legbar Cockrel?

MrGreg

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
So I got some chicks from TSC, 2 of them cream legbars. They're supposed to be pullets. When they were a week old they definitely looked like pullets. This one definitely looks like a cockrel right? (The one in the back.) They are 5 weeks old now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230419_233450.jpg
    Screenshot_20230419_233450.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230419_232658.jpg
    20230419_232658.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 52
Cream Legbars are an autosexing breed, though only some lines of Cream Legbars are bred largely for their autosexing abilities as day-old chicks. Many of Tractor Supply's Cream Legbars seem to not carry the autosexing gene at day one. The one in the background of the image is an obvious cockerel, and the one in the front is a pullet.

Thank you everyone!

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you!

He's a cockerel. TSC has been selling some godawful Legbars. It is incredibly frustrating that Hoover's doesn't prioritize autosexing, the entire point of the breed! Definitely do not breed him to pass those genetics on. :(

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. It is a shame too, I'm not allowed roosters and with young kids, I wouldn't want to test it either. Unfortunately, I suppose I'll have to do what I have to do then in a few weeks. 😞

Thank you everyone!

Thank you!

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. It is a shame too, I'm not allowed roosters and with young kids, I wouldn't want to test it either. Unfortunately, I suppose I'll have to do what I have to do then in a few weeks. 😞
The Meat Bird forum might be of some help to you, if rehoming is not your plan. Most folks process unwanted cockerels between 4-6 months, which is often right around or right before they start to crow.

Back
Top Bottom