Cream legbar cross chicks

Cream Legbars are supposed to lay blue eggs, and Leghorns are supposed to lay white eggs.

So if they are laying the same color eggs as each other, I think one must be a different breed than you think it is.
This is Ethel. She's a CCL/ Wheaten Marans cross. Father pure CCL. Mother half CCL and half Wheaten Marans. She lays a peach colored egg. You would think that with 3/4 CCL it would be some green color.

Attachments

• IMG_6324.JPG
    IMG_6324.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 14
This is Ethel. She's a CCL/ Wheaten Marans cross. Father pure CCL. Mother half CCL and half Wheaten Marans. She lays a peach colored egg. You would think that with 3/4 CCL it would be some green color.
If her father was a pure CCL then without doubt she would lay a green egg.

Father pure CCL.... She lays a peach colored egg.

Cream Legbars are supposed to be pure for the blue egg gene.
So any son or daughter of a Cream Legbar would have to inherit one copy of the blue egg gene from them.
So any daughter of a Cream Legbar should lay eggs that are some shade of blue or green.

If your hen lays a peach colored egg, then she did not inherit the blue egg gene from her father, which means he had at least one copy of the gene for not-blue eggs. So he was missing a gene that a pure Cream Legbar is SUPPOSED to have.

Either that rooster was not really a pure Cream Legbar, or he was "pure" but poor quality (with "quality" meaning "having the genes the breed is supposed to have.")

Cream Legbars are supposed to be pure for the blue egg gene.
So any son or daughter of a Cream Legbar would have to inherit one copy of the blue egg gene from them.
So any daughter of a Cream Legbar should lay eggs that are some shade of blue or green.

If your hen lays a peach colored egg, then she did not inherit the blue egg gene from her father, which means he had at least one copy of the gene for not-blue eggs. So he was missing a gene that a pure Cream Legbar is SUPPOSED to have.

Either that rooster was not really a pure Cream Legbar, or he was "pure" but poor quality (with "quality" meaning "having the genes the breed is supposed to have.")
I thought I should get some kind of blue/green egg.

Back
Top Bottom