Cream Legbar, cross?

uglyteapot

Hatching
Dec 1, 2015
I'm getting two eggs a day, but who is laying! The dark brown egg is definitely from my Maran. The speckled brown egg? I have a Speckledy (2 year old, she stopped laying when she started moulting a few months ago and I don't think ever resumed), a Light sussex (2 years, currently moulting, usually lays very pale brown eggs), and a Cream Legbar (this years chick, 6 months old). I suspect the 'Cream Legbar', she (and my cockerel) were sold to me as pure breed hatching eggs, but what do you think?

Pullet

Cockerel

Them as chicks (with the maran in the middle):

I've always thought she looked a bit like a Fenton, but thought they were meant to lay white eggs.

Well your Legbars definitely look like legbars! Very nice birds! But her egg would be blue to light blue to green, not brown speckled. It could be your light sussex. Some times the eggs can get kind of a "spray paint" on them on their way out and get the speckled look.

Well your Legbars definitely look like legbars!  Very nice birds!  But her egg would be blue to light blue to green, not brown speckled.  It could be your light sussex.  Some times the eggs can get kind of a "spray paint" on them on their way out and get the speckled look.
X2. My Olive egger sometimes lays olive eggs with brown speckles. Maybe 1 in every 20 or so

I have set the CCTV camera up infront the coop- so I can see who goes inside! Only the maran laid today, but hopefully tomorrow...

It has to be either the legbar not being a legbar, or the Speckledy. The Light Sussex tends to lay very pale eggs and is in the middle of moulting- looking very sorry for herself.

I only have 4 chickens, so it shouldn't be difficult!

I agree your Cream Legbars are Cream Legbars. They should lay blue to blue green eggs. I've read that it is possible to get a brown laying Cream Legbar throw back, but rare.

My guess would be either your Marans...their eggs can lighten significantly over the laying season, and I've had several Marans lay speckled blotched eggs after a long laying period of dark eggs, and one Marans that consistently laid brown splotched eggs....but if your Marans is still laying distinctive deep eggs...it will be one of your molting birds possibly.

Did the webcam show anything? The other alternative if you are really, really curious is to put food dye on the vent and then see who laid what egg. Told that is very effective.

LofMc

Last edited:
you can also use lipstick on the vent - discard lipstick tube afterward -
sickbyc.gif

Looking at the camera footage.. and all 4 girls go into the coop together when one wants to lay an egg!

They're not very handlable chickens, so me chasing them to put lipstick on them probably won't be appreciated. I shall just have to be patient and wait for more different coloured eggs to turn up.

Back
Top Bottom