Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
Is everyone keeping the "lines" separate? Are you creating your own "line"? Just wondering how y'all are going about it..

I've got it easy: one male, one female. I might be able to find out the male's line, as he's from a good, recognized breeder (CJWaldon). The female is from an eBay egg and I no longer have contact info for the seller.

So my Cream Legbars are officially (ahem, drumroll please)
The Grayfeather Line, because I am going to name my future breeding operation (my husband will bust a gut laughing at this) Grayfeather. I can't wait to order some custom-printed pencils. ;-)

Now if only my pullet will LAY AN EGG, the slacker!

Last edited:
Grayfeather sounds very classy. I'll purchase a pencil from your company gift shop - for sure.

Regarding slacker hen. Someone long ago said the CL pullets hatched in late summer and autumn (I had some hatched Sept 3--and then some Sept 23 or so.... ) won't lay until the following spring -- they will just take their ever-loving time about it.

For the laying at 24-weeks birds an early hatch - Like Jan. is more desirable. It will be interesting to see when Ms. Slacker does produce that first egg.

Thanks to everyone for all of the genetics information. It will become very useful when choosing breeding stock. I'm trying to let mine grow out as long as possible before making a decision one way or another. There are some marked differences even as chicks. I vote for hatching as many as possible!
big_smile.png

Is everyone keeping the "lines" separate? Are you creating your own "line"? Just wondering how y'all are going about it..
I have Cream Legbars from 4 different people-Candace and Greenfire are two of them.
I plan to keep 3 breeding pens with a roo and 3 or 4 hens in each one, and then switch them around every so often for better diversity and to see what results I get from each breeding.

I have two lines, third will be here next month. I'm going to be spiral breeding (I think that's what it is). Where you have line A, B, and C. You put B roo in with A hens (C roo with B hens, A roo with C hens), and replace birds every year or so with their best offspring.

I started out with a line A roo and line C hen, then made an outcross which gave me my own line. Then I inherited a pair and a trio that are of mixed lines (friend got them from a couple BYC members). To me, the line doesn't matter so much as long as I have the diversity here. In the end, I plan to have 3 lines, one with rose combs for production, another with a nicer body type that I may cross into my production line, and my 'pure' line that hasn't been outcrossed

Regarding slacker hen. Someone long ago said the CL pullets hatched in late summer and autumn (I had some hatched Sept 3--and then some Sept 23 or so.... ) won't lay until the following spring -- they will just take their ever-loving time about it.

For the laying at 24-weeks birds an early hatch - Like Jan. is more desirable. It will be interesting to see when Ms. Slacker does produce that first egg.

I didn't know that -- I bet that's it. She's 25 weeks old, a late summer baby. She's probably gonna slack off till spring.

At least I won't be worrying for the next couple months that there might be something wrong with her. :)

I've got it easy: one male, one female. I might be able to find out the male's line, as he's from a good, recognized breeder (CJWaldon). The female is from an eBay egg and I no longer have contact info for the seller.

So my Cream Legbars are officially (ahem, drumroll please)
The Grayfeather Line, because I am going to name my future breeding operation (my husband will bust a gut laughing at this) Grayfeather. I can't wait to order some custom-printed pencils. ;-)

Now if only my pullet will LAY AN EGG, the slacker!
That's nice. I really like the name you've chosen! Classy and appropriate.

Lots of different approaches... hmmm.. guess I'll have to see how it goes. They are all too young to breed now anyway so there is time. Thanks for sharing your strategies.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom