Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Remember that regardless of how soon the stock came from GFF it is going to take several generations of breeding to get your own line down to uniformity- and those who are crossing multiple lines from GFF will have even longer. When you combine different lines all kinds of things will pop up that were not existent in either line. Good looking girls there though!

Last edited:
I don't know if he's lacking gray barring but I'm hoping to get a good roo from this or one of her three sisters with Elvis. But will make that call when they're older. I like this ones face crest and comb as well. She's from Merlin and mirabell.

Remember that regardless of how soon the stock came from GFF it is going to take several generations of breeding to get your own line down to uniformity- and those who are crossing multiple lines from GFF will have even longer. When you combine different lines all kinds of things will pop up that were not existent in either line. Good looking girls there though!
That brings up something I've wondered about. How many sources did GFF purchase the original group of CLs, did the 2nd group come from the same source(s), or new source(s), and the next line and so on until Jill Rees' birds, and did they purchase from multiple sources when they got her birds? Then throw in the possibility that some of those birds/their ancesters may have been genetically tampered with, which is well within the realm of possibility, might help explain some of the lack of uniformity of everyone's chicks from GFF.

Remember that regardless of how soon the stock came from GFF it is going to take several generations of breeding to get your own line down to uniformity- and those who are crossing multiple lines from GFF will have even longer.  When you combine different lines all kinds of things will pop up that were not existent in either line.  Good looking girls there though!
yeah I will admit I am worried I might be in for learning the hard way on crossing lines. But I just feel I must. It's all a series of test breedings to me!

Lovely pullets. Is the very bottom shot the same pullet standing on the left in the first picture?
Is the second to bottom picture the pullet on the right in the top picture? Or different pullets?? I see the dark feather tips on the side of the breast in the second from the bottom -- but I LOVE the crest and the comb and the face on that one you are going to cull.... She has nice white earlobes too. That pullet shows the size of the crest that I am going for---and I love her comb and face too.

Thanks for posting!!!!

ETA are both the bottom two photos pullets the same age?? If you could put crest, comb and head of the one on the body of the other.... :O)

those are actually 4 different birds, in the very top picture, those two are about the same age. On the two pictured individually, the top on is just over a year old and the other is 6 months old. I seem to be getting 3 distinct varieties of offspring - the light one (like the very bottom) the darker ones like the one on the right on top and one that is in between, but more gold in the hackles.

I have a plan for my culls - they are going in with my Welsummers - I plan on make some beautiful olive eggers with that cross - not a true Welbar - but an improved one!

Quote: so maybe I should keep her in my breeding pen to improve the roosters? Will she be more likely to improve the sex link in a cross with my Welsummers than the lighter hens?

Quote:
what did I just read?
I am confused! What did you just read? You don't think I should be trying to get chesnut out? I might create genetic chaos breeding my dark pullets to little Elvis because I'm rolling the dice that he might have genetics larger than himself and color to compliment her..

those are actually 4 different birds, in the very top picture, those two are about the same age. On the two pictured individually, the top on is just over a year old and the other is 6 months old. I seem to be getting 3 distinct varieties of offspring - the light one (like the very bottom) the darker ones like the one on the right on top and one that is in between, but more gold in the hackles.

I have a plan for my culls - they are going in with my Welsummers - I plan on make some beautiful olive eggers with that cross - not a true Welbar - but an improved one!

so maybe I should keep her in my breeding pen to improve the roosters? Will she be more likely to improve the sex link in a cross with my Welsummers than the lighter hens?
Okay - thanks for clearing it up. Wow - she is 1-year old and has a comb and wattles that small. Now that is something I would consider value-added... Yep-- I think that she would be really good for making a more moderate comb on a rooster - and she looks straight - does she have 5-points? Just depends upon what you want to work on...JMO....but I DO like that hen. :O)

Back
Top Bottom