Cream legbars

Rainbowfamily

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2019
I have two (they are supposed to be) cream legbars. We specifically found and got them for the coveted blue eggs that they lay. They both started laying this week (under a bush no less). The only problem is that their eggs are not blue, they are your regular peach brown. Were we tricked or can it take a little longer for their colors to come in? With our americanas they laid their greenish blues right away. But I have not had this breed before.

No matter the chicken breed, each individual chicken will always lay the same color eggs that they started laying, with maybe some shade variation through seasons or with age but a hen that lays brown eggs will always lay brown eggs, a hen that lays blue eggs will always lay blue eggs, etc.

Here are pictures of the ladies Ann and Cleopatra.
1D396A7C-58D6-461D-86EA-5854E3FA9C63.jpeg
1D396A7C-58D6-461D-86EA-5854E3FA9C63.jpeg
05477D05-FDAC-4E64-BDD7-EB6BBF3EF671.jpeg

Well, they look like cream legbars to me, but maybe someone with a more discerning eye can tell you what they’re mixed with. The only time I’ve heard of an egg color changing, was someone’s black copper marans hen’s dark-brown/chocolate eggs were getting progressively lighter, as if the pigment she was depositing was getting reduced.

However I read blue egg layers lay blue eggs, where the actual shell is blue too, so that should never change. Brown egg layers lay white eggs and deposit a brown pigment as it passes through their system. Which is why the exterior is brown and the interior is white.

Maybe I read it on here?

Here are pictures of the ladies Ann and Cleopatra.
Front one looks like a CCL, other one looks like a cross.

The only time I’ve heard of an egg color changing, was someone’s black copper marans hen’s dark-brown/chocolate eggs were getting progressively lighter, as if the pigment she was depositing was getting reduced.

However I read blue egg layers lay blue eggs, where the actual shell is blue too, so that should never change. Brown egg layers lay white eggs and deposit a brown pigment as it passes through their system. Which is why the exterior is brown and the interior is white.
All Correct.
Pigment can get lighter as season progresses, will go darker again after the molting/winter break.

Would you do the rest of us a favor? If you got the chickens from a well known (someone who ships or advertises nationally) source, please name names. I, for one, would like to avoid this supplier.

Back
Top Bottom