Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    At least the females are sellable, as an all white, blue egg layer. Not sure what I'll do with white males.

2. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Mixed flock protector, dinner, or for test matings to weed out the white gene in regular females. Or culled at birth as they are sexable. Not pretty but it's a fact of life there are always too many roosters.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

TherryChicken - Super sharp chick picts. Nice job. Congratulations on the babies!

4. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thank you ChicKat.. If that chick is a girl, I'm thinking about keeping it, but if a cockerel, I can't have anymore then I do

5. ChicKat

For you, I hope it is a girl. People with white CLs say they lay BLUE blue eggs! [​IMG]

6. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thank you! Could use all the finger crosses I can get, except doubles lol.. This chick is a bit hard to tell as the stripes/markings are so into the same coloring as the chick.

7. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

I just had to share as I think its so cute :) I have a CCL pullet who is only about 2 months old, but she has taken it upon herself to be the nanny to all the baby chicks in the outside brooder. She is so dang sweet. I have a little pop door for them so they can come out and play when they are ready. She'd already been moved out to the big kid play pen but moved herself back into the brooder some time ago. She goes and mothers all the little ones. They sit all over her back and she snuggles them under her wings. It is really the sweetest thing. No matter what she ends up looking like she will always have a home here as a little nurse maid, LOL! I've never seen anything like it. She occasionally goes out and explores a bit but not for long. And when she comes back I swear they jump for joy. She will lay still for them while they all pretend to groom her and she will pluck little bits of this and that out of their feathers. It really warms my heart. I am betting she is going to be like permanently broody once she reaches maturity, LOL! Has anyone else ever had one like this?

8. ChicKat

When we were first learning about CLs someone, I think it may have been the Sheriff had a pullet take care of little ones, and even go broody. Love your story. It is so neat to hear about benevolent chickens that treat the young well. I bet it is endearing to watch.....

1 person likes this.
  9. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Anyone else getting hens with odd barring spots? One of my girls, that I hadn't planned on using for breeding, has white squares speckling her back. I figure it's just an issue with barring, but was wondering how common it is.

10. ChicKat

Is she really young? like 10-12 weeks? Sometimes they get what looks like white feathers..that then disappear as their adult feathering comes in.

Here's a little girl at about 8 weeks/9 weeks--- subsequently the white flecks disappeared.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by