Cream Legbars

Sounds great
thumbsup.gif
and thanks for your input!

So cute! YAY babies!!!! What is your total count for boys and girls? And is that last chick just very light in the pic or is it a white sport legbar?

4 boys and 5 girls, they ALL came from my cream legbars. That little yellow chick throws me off BIG time

The little yellow would be a male white sport if it has a head spot. Female white sports look like this:

See the V on the head? That's a girl! The boys have the lighter blob at the back of the head.

We don't know the exact genetics but we know the white gene is a recessive gene that is popping up. If you can isolate the hen throwing the whites you want to pull her out of a breeding program, because if you unknowingly keep breeding white carriers the white gene will "stack up" and you will hatch more and more whites. Your male probably most likely also carries a white gene. It's in my flock too but I won't be ready to work on breeding it out for another year or two, working on cream color first. I get roughly 1 white for every 24 regular chicks.

This is dumb, but do the white sport females still lay blue eggs?
Yes. Genetically the same, just a different color of feathers. They are even crested.

Is This a boy or girl then? I don't know which hen is doing it, would white sports be bad to keep or sell as White sport legbars?
1391706_1469629413262355_71669838_n.jpg

1385475_1469629416595688_324129742_n.jpg
I would say female on that one.

What do they look like fully grown?
They look just like a Cream Legbar, crested with a single comb, but with completely white feathers. You can see one on post 4991 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread/4990

Back
Top Bottom