Cream Legbars

Is she really young? like 10-12 weeks? Sometimes they get what looks like white feathers..that then disappear as their adult feathering comes in.

Here's a little girl at about 8 weeks/9 weeks--- subsequently the white flecks disappeared.

Well your picture of the pullet with the black crest aligns with one I hatched about a month ago. She was the one that many folks liked the cold tones of her brown down. Not only has she grown a black crest but there are black feathers that underlay the breast feathers. Granted she is still young since she was hatched on September 18. She was one that I got from the NC lady who was moving to Maine. I will have to get pictures.

I must say that given my acquisitions of of chicks, hatching eggs, and hatching my own eggs, that the genetics of these CCLs are all over the map. I now have an awesome cream crested pullet, a slightly gold tone in the crest pullet (cream in hackles), a white sport pullet, and now this black crested pullet. I have another pullet that was hatched on October 12 that is growing out and too early to tell yet.

Last edited:
Well your picture of the pullet with the black crest aligns with one I hatched about a month ago. She was the one that many folks liked to cold tones of her brown down. Not only has she grown a black crest but there are black feathers that underlay the breast feathers. Granted she is still young since she was hatched on September 18. She was one that I got from the NC lady who was moving to Maine. I will have to get pictures.

I must say that given my acquisitions of of chicks, hatching eggs and hatching my own, that the genetics of these CCLs are all over the map. I now have an awesome cream crested pullet, a slightly gold tone in the crest pullet (cream in hackles), a white sport pullet, and now this black crested pullet. I have another pullet that was hatched on October 12 that is growing out and too early to tell yet.
Fantastic...you really do have the spectrum!!! It would be great to see comparison pictures of the varieties of crests if you have time to show them.

My preference is the dark, dark (black, or dark slate) crests with the slight (if you look carefully) white (cream? light gray?) barring. I have Robin back but her crest is gone at the moment..and the other one here has that more puffy chestnut and dark colored crest.

In the UK the Araucana have three type of crests...none, bouffant, and the third one that I consider more attractive and our original CLs had. this link shows their egg color card, and the three types of crests..middle bird big tufts no crest.....
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKArauEgg.html Color chart originated by Mr. Fred Decmar...... UK Araucanas have tails as opposed to the rumples in the USA...I wonder if the variety in the right most picture traces as far back as the famous/infamous "Chilean hen". If in the UK some prefer the pouffy crest on their CLs. no wonder they are having real problems getting straight and upright combs. Hopefully we will stick toward the more 'original Cream Legbar' style crests here and eliminate some of the straight comb struggle for ourselves here....

Too much, too fluffy, too chestnut for me.

smaler crest, still very chestnut (this hen is molting BTW)

medium crest

no crest, but her type, size, leg length etc. were good - I was going to keep her incase I ever needed crest reduction.

dark crest - faint barring - less Bouffant (she's puffed up here a bit - setting hen)

Nice trim crest - in my view practically perfect for size and proportion and that neat cap look

Pretty good crest nice yellow legs and beak!

Faint barring showing - smaller crest - doesn't resemble a dandelion popped on a chicken head JMO

Last edited:
Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I don't know how long her eye has been like this, I've been so busy with the move that I haven't been watching much "chicken TV" lately. :( She was the first one in to roost last night so I looked her over and was totally shocked to see her eye. I am applying triple antibiotic cream and Veterycin opthalmic gel three times a day. This is Green Band Girl, my favorite hen. :( She is not laying right now, eating and drinking well, good weight. The whole eye is gray, and the pupil is a hard point in the center. The whole eye, socket, and lid is swollen. Going to post in the emergencies area and see if I can get any help.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I don't know how long her eye has been like this, I've been so busy with the move that I haven't been watching much "chicken TV" lately. :( She was the first one in to roost last night so I looked her over and was totally shocked to see her eye. I am applying triple antibiotic cream and Veterycin opthalmic gel three times a day. This is Green Band Girl, my favorite hen. :( She is not laying right now, eating and drinking well, good weight. The whole eye is gray, and the pupil is a hard point in the center. The whole eye, socket, and lid is swollen. Going to post in the emergencies area and see if I can get any help.
I don't know if it will help but I find this site really useful for searching illnesses if it is one http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/

I had finches with that same symptom. Had a vet inspect my aviary and he said it is an
infection. Bayrtil cured it. It was caused by poor ventilation in the aviary which I fixed by adding an exhaust fan.

Wow @Cloverwood I hadn't heard that yet. I'm suspecting injury from a few suggestions, and am going to continue treating with Vetrycin opthalmic gel and triple antibiotic for this week. If there is no improvement by then I may take her in to the vet. I hate to lose my best Cream Legbar hen when this breed has struggled to get proper birds to move forward with!

Thanks for the link pendragon, I'm bookmarking it for future reference.

No it's not Ocular Marek's. That affects the iris only, and gives it the nickname Gray Eye, and does not cause swelling of the eyeball and surrounding tissues. I did some extensive looking online and it does not looks like any form of ocular Marek's that I could find on the web.

Back
Top Bottom