Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Do you have any oregano? It wouldn't hurt to add some of that to her diet as a natural immune boost if it is an infection. Best wishes! Praying for a full recovery!

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    There is a paper that describes ocular lesions in chickens after experimentally giving them the bacterium e coli introduced into an air sac:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1255379/

So yes, systemic infections can spread to the eye and surrounding tissue. In your case, there appears to be an irregularity to the cornea which makes injury higher on the list of possible causes. Secondary infections are always a concern. Good luck to you and your girl!

3. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    The eye is looking better today, thank goodness! I can see the differentiation of her pupil today, and when I was massaging the meds in this morning a pocket of fluid burst out. Kind of gross but probably feels better to her.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Oh, yay--I hope she continues to get better! She is a really nice pullet!

5. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Hello!

I am new to this thread and after reading numerous pages I am curious as to the average age the CL's start laying. I have two that are 29 weeks and are still not laying! It has been a hot humid summer, and it is still in the 80's during the day, and they have recently molted, but really! 29 weeks is crazy! I am so impatient for the blue eggs! I also have an AM that is 30 weeks and still hasn't laid an egg yet! Anyone else have that experience?

6. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I have one who was a Fall hatch who didn't start until 31 weeks...but laid 5-6 eggs a week consistently after that for over 5 months (until she went broody). Was it a minor molt? And you double checked for parasites and that they get enough calcium? Perhaps they just aren't getting enough light, and will wait for longer days. Other than those ideas, I've got nothing. Best wishes for eggs...and welcome to the "Holding Out Egg Club"! We haven't held a meeting in quite a while!

7. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Sweet Hattie Jo, starting laying in June and hasnt missed but 3 days since then. Next time, more Crested Cream Legbars.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Welcome to the CL threads!

Usually a CL pullet will start laying around 24 weeks and a few days. Some a bit earlier. Chickens in general want 14-hours of light -- so even the spring equinox will only bring us up to 12 hours of daylight. One option is artificial lighting in the coop-- to bring it up to 14........ Once she does start, she may lay regularly through her first winter of laying though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  9. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Shotzy007 -

That's a fabulous endorsement for the breed. Love her crest comb and eyes. Was she hatched in Janurary do you know? And would you share where you got her? Thanks for posting the endorsement of their egg-laying ability.

10. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    I think she was born in January or end of December. HIgh View Farms in Dripping Springs, TX, Samantha is a wonderful person and loves all her chickens which is hundreds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by