Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yep, there is always that little walk out to the coop with a cook book in hand and you start reading out the names of chicken recipes...

Do you think one of those stick on undercounter lights with an LED and batteries in the roof of the coop would work? That would be a $10 and 1 minute solution -- but it would have to be on all night long IMO....Unless you made a trip to see that they are in and a later trip to turn off the night light......

2. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA

That is an idea. I will have to check that out. I currently have the holes drilled and electrical box & breaker installed. I just need to dig the trench for the conduit and pull the wire to finish the job. That is hard part for which to get motivated especially with the advent of colder weather.

3. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    @HaplessRunner I hope your lighting issues get resolved. Around here most people just use Christmas lights on timers fed by mini solar panels, but it sounds like you already have a lot of the work completed on your hard wire system. Best wishes for some beautiful eggs soon!

Well...it looks like Kate may have a wry tail (she just started holding it to the side in the past week) so she's out for this month's show. I'd hate to get all the way there just to get disqualified...Anyone else showing this month? Anyone have advice for cage training a rooster in 2 weeks?

4. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    I, too, would like to hear this information. [​IMG]

5. ChicKat

Read someplace that you start slowly and put the rooster in the cage for short periods and reward him with his favorite treats...hmmm meal worms anyone?

You gradually lengthen the time he spends there, you have a lot of commotion around - people strange to him walking by and poking faces at him...noise - like a radio...etc. Probably would want another cage next to - so another chicken in it would replicate a show more.

Don't know where I read it -- maybe this forum, maybe google search -- but I bet you will be able to find lots of good advice on it. Once he thinks it is routine it shouldn't get his hackles up. Oh, and get a 'pretend' judge to reach in and lift him out, examine and put back in the cage.

Lots of time, lots of effort -- but you would have a conditioned rooster. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

6. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Hilarious! Be like ok I'ma make this from you and this from you. Lol I couldn't do that.. I'd do it to maybe scare some eggs out though :)

7. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I've tried adding light to my girls coop, didn't work any

8. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks Kathy! My girls are so easy to pick up and examine, but the boys...well your hackle comments are right on!

9. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    I know in cockerels they won't be disqualified for wry-tail- because sometimes as they are growing the growth/muscles/feathers are uneven for a bit and show the appearance of wry tail but it resolves as they mature. I assume it would be the same for pullets??

Those are some great tips for cage training!

10. ChicKat

KP have you ever seen any of those clicker training videos? Chickens are trainable...the videos are all hens... But most livestock I know just loves, loves, loves a routine. So if it were his routine, he maybe would be happy?

Whenever I need to be sure of hands on - I try to get them after they go to roost, and put in pet carrier for morning working on. Maybe because I don't spend as much time with them as I used to all my chickens are reluctant to be picked up. My first chickens were like little stuffed toys. Otherwise..run around with a butterfly net until you or they or both become exhausted...I've been known to do that with some...
    .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by