Cream Legbars

Rinda, I'm sorry to tell you that the bottom bird in this picture has extremely rough barring.
lau.gif

I just went out to the mailbox and got a card from the City asking for me to comment on the new City proposals to encourage Urban Agriculture--spinning it as allowing goats and year-round hoop houses and residential farm stands to encourage sustainability.

I am in one of 4 zones that have been exempt from Ag regulations, until now. When I got online to take the survey, they stated that they now want to regulate my zone (I live on 5 acres at the edge of the city) including adding a setback over concerns that animal waste run-off will harm streams and ditches (I abut both) and a total ban of roosters.

I can tell their 'focus group' did not have anyone that knows anything about roosters since they cited 4-H and increased nutritional value of eggs as the reason for keeping roosters and noise as the reason for the ban. I can think of plenty of reasons to keep a rooster and increased egg nutrition is not one of them.

If this goes through it will eliminate my ability to breed Cream Legbars. It will damage me personally. I am really upset about this! Why do some folks feel the need to regulate something that has not been an issue?
somad.gif

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that. I really dislike how the towns are supposedly all for people becoming self sufficient but then they take away our right to keep ourselves self sufficient .

I am having a similar issue here in my town. From what I have read in my town newspapers it all boils down to a man half way across town that has a supposedly obnoxious rooster and the man supposedly doesn't tend to them properly or doesn't keep it quiet enough for annoyed neighbors. Now after years of being able to have roosters they are deciding on whether or not rooster should be banned for people that have less than 3 acres.
somad.gif
It really makes me furious and I hope they don't pass this in to the newly revised zoning ordinace. We will find out next month I believe. If it does pass it will allow all existing roosters to be grandfathered in thankfully. But those roosters cannot be replaced and their offspring doesn't count in the grandfather law. So if this passes this will also put a damper on my breeding CLs.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what people think we should do to "quiet" our roosters? Uneducated people are always going to be a problem.

There are ways to mitigate some of the noise if it become a problem--shutting them in a solid wood structure with no windows, and having a 'Rooster Quieting' surgery called a syringotomy, its a procedure that vents some of the air into an air sac so the crow isn't as loud.

It seems that most of the problem is that folks think that roosters will be noisy yet don't live near them and haven't heard them in place so have no idea what he impact of one or two roosters really is. Some crow all the time and some hardly ever at all. Just like barking dogs, some are a nuisance and some are not.

I have asked my neighbor if he has a problem with the noise to which he replies 'no--I actually think its charming'. I have asked me to let me know if there is a problem and he has my number. He is very good about calling if my dog gets out or he sees a hen running out of the enclosure. No problem with the rooster at all!

The City should not be an HOA. There are noise ordinances on the books to address problems. Sheesh.

Last edited:
It should be up to the actual neighbours to decide. Even then you'd be stuffed with some nasty neighbour, but why should all roos be banned when some neighbours even like the sound? I know I do, I'd be sad if my neighbour got rid of her roo.

So sorry to hear that. I really dislike how the towns are supposedly all for people becoming self sufficient but then they take away our right to keep ourselves self sufficient .

I am having a similar issue here in my town. From what I have read in my town newspapers it all boils down to a man half way across town that has a supposedly obnoxious rooster and the man supposedly doesn't tend to them properly or doesn't keep it quiet enough for annoyed neighbors. Now after years of being able to have roosters they are deciding on whether or not rooster should be banned for people that have less than 3 acres.
somad.gif
It really makes me furious and I hope they don't pass this in to the newly revised zoning ordinace. We will find out next month I believe. If it does pass it will allow all existing roosters to be grandfathered in thankfully. But those roosters cannot be replaced and their offspring doesn't count in the grandfather law. So if this passes this will also put a damper on my breeding CLs.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Did you try to fight the ordinance? How did it go and what worked or did not work?

They have a Q&A meeting on the 20th that I will show up to. It looks like this has been looked at for over a year but the focus and advertising has been spun as an increase in Ag use without mentioning the restrictions on us other folks. I may need to see a lawyer and start a campaign with my City Councilman, although I don't think he will be very friendly to my plight since he lives in and HOA wil super-lots of restrictions. The City should not act as an HOA! How can they want to expand and encourage Agricultural Use on small lots within City limits yet reduce my fair use of my property I've lived at for over 20 years? Colorado is a Right to Farm State but it allows Cities to be more limiting of the use, so I can't go by that unless I argue that the City is clearly wanting to expand AG operations within the City limits so it is illogical they would restrict my use. I cant even sue them for losses (I have invested quite a lot in CL's so far plus additional fencing I will have to build for the other parts of the ordinance they want to enact).

Man did his ruin my weekend. Plus I can't call anyone until Monday. Maybe that's just as well so I can cool down and be more polite in my conversations.

Any thoughts from you all on the best approach to try to but the brakes on this would be welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom