Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They did have a meeting last month though Im not sure if it was a public meeting or not. Either way I couldnt make it to the meeting unfortunately. I am hoping they have another meeting and yes I will attend and try my best to find other rooster owners in my town willing to fight. I love my roosters dearly and Id really be lost with out them. Not only are they all completely well behaved sweet and gentle rooster but they also allow me to keep an adequate supply of fertile eggs to sell and to hatch. These fertile eggs we all hatch allows us to have chicks so we can sell the females and put the males in the freezer. All of you with roosters already know all the benefits of having roosters. I have 4 adult roosters at the moment and I am on just under 2acres. This summer I had about 13-15 roosters. My neighbors have never complained. And many come to buy eggs from me and say my small farm is charming.

As mentioned though it only takes a few people who do not try there best to keep quiet roosters and or try to keep happy neighbors that ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    A woman in my city (tiny community, smack in the middle of rural nowheresville) put a petition on change.org to allow her severely handicapped children to keep their pet chickens -- caring for them, simply reaching down with food, etc. -- provided physical therapy for the kids, as well as the mental and emotional benefit of caring for animals. I don't know if she succeeded, but having tens of thousands of signatures on a petition really got the attention of the town officials. She even got onto the local TV news because of the petition.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

dretd and chicken pickin,

Hopefully you can get the legal snarls untangled. Where there's a will there's a way.

Meanwhile, you will definitely be able to keep hens at home, right?

-- You may have to befriend a farmer and arrange to have conjugal visits with your chosen roosters. There has to be some solution if the powers that be prove to be totally ignorant and unreasonable. Hope that doesn't happen, but you can find a way to still raise CLs/

4. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    Dretd,

I am so sorry to hear this! Are you actually in the city limits? If you are not within the city, my question would be what right of jurisdiction would the city have if you are outside the limits? You will certainly have to network with other folks to bring pressure and present another side of the story.

IMO, unfortunately, this is just another example of imports to a State of folks from more urban locations who want to change things to make then like where they came from. We are having a huge problem in Virginia with a lot of folks from the northeast who are moving here. The northeast is so covered up with government in everyone's business. My wife has many relatives in Massachusetts that we visit and I have seen it first hand. These folks want to change all kinds of rules and impose new regulations similar to where they moved away from. I have been to Colorado a number of times and it is a beautiful State but politically you are suffering the issues we are facing here in VA.

I live a mile down a dirt gravel road and we had someone move to the area and was going to do all kinds of organic this and that. I got an anxious telephone call from one night about a week or so after they moved in wanting to know why there were not any sidewalks or streetlights here! She was so intimidated that for the next three years while they lived there all the flood lights around the house stayed on for 24/7. She tried to get the neighbors to petition the county for street lights and sidewalks. Unbelievable!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Well it looks like my "all cream" boy, Heathcliff, carries autosomal red after all. He has a wild comb and crest thing going on as well but I still love him and can't wait for spring breeding season!

4 months old -- Heathcliff

[​IMG]
    Here you can see some of the AR in his wing.

[​IMG]

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

So awesome...is that him in your avatar too.... You should get a progression series and note the dates. He's going to be a fine rooster. His crest looks like a bluejay or a cardinal. (interesting that when we were kids we always did like that crest for the added something.) Nice boy....

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    He is quite handsome and it looks like his comb will have that cranial fold but otherwise will be straight. As for his color, he looks cream with chestnut in the allowable places--maybe a hint in the crest too--but that is perfectly fine by the SOP and I think that little bit of color on the shoulders is pretty. His ears also look very uniformly white and that is really a good thing at his age. Definitely a keeper. I can't wait to see how he turns out!

9. sweetdreaming

sweetdreaming Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    La Feria, TX
    Hey Dr. ETD,
    By their own admission, their ordinance was developed to "support and promote sustainability". Why don't you ask them how that can possibly happen without Roosters? Immaculate chicken conception? You may need to give them a Biology 101 lesson! That may well be your legal loophole.

We live in the county as well, and although nobody's broached a "no rooster" ordinance (yet!), the county officials are so hard up for $, they have completely cracked down on Ag Exemptions for land. So even though we hv beef cattle (and horses, goats and chickens), since both my hubby and I have full-time careers, we aren't considered farmers and we'll now have to pay full taxes on our 23 acres. Major -and expensive- bummer. We'd move if we thought it was any better anywhere else in the US..... but this kind of stuff is happening everywhere. All we can do is show up at those city council meetings and be vocal!

10. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by