Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    My Cream Legbar roo's comb is a mess from frostbite. I think he's going to lose all but one point -- not just tips but the whole point -- and the blade. Several of the hens -- the ones with very narrow points -- are losing a few tips. I've been rubbing all my chickens' combs with a mixture of mostly coconut and some olive oil, as even the non-frostbitten combs look dry.

Neosporin sounds like a good idea for my roo. The blade is blistered and I'm afraid to touch that part. I think there's a spray version of neosporin?

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Would you mind posting a pic of your roo? My roos comb seems to be frost bite pretty bad like yours the entire points. Im nervous for infection. The weather a little while back was just horrible on the roosters. The CL is the worst off since his comb is emormous.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop

This is not set in stone and the way I look at this may change a half dozen time this year, but below are some comparisons I have sketched out.

[​IMG]

The Legbar has the
    1) Legs of the Plymouth Rock (medium length as opposed to the long length of the leghorn)
    2) Well rounded Prominent Breast of both the Rocks and the Leghorn
    3) The head of an English standard Leghorn
    4) The well curved neck of both the Rock and Leghorn
    5) A straight line downward sloping back that is neither Leghorn nor Rock (Chilean Hen?) [​IMG]
    The depth of the body is not so deep as the Rock (lower back line) but deeper than the
    Leghorn (higher back line) which is where the Legbar gets it extra weight (6lb Legbar hens
    as opposed to 4-1/2lb Leghorn Hens)
    6) The tail of the Leghorn
    7) The fluff or bottom line of the Legbar is not as tight as the Leghorn, but not as full as the Rock.

Note: Others are surely focused on different points of the SOP that I am, so if you see an area that I didn't portray well in the sketch feel free to red line over this sketch and repost to show what variances you feel would make the ideal Legbar.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:thats why I said, they were not homozygous for the cream gene(they hare heterozygous) and I am not going to lie to you and say, oh he looks cream when he clearly does not

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    This looks excellent so far. I love this diagram.

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the CL genome is so far from the Barred rock that any similarities is just Speculations and wishful thinking, remember that Mr. Pease introduced even more leghorn blood to the line as to encrease productivity and the only thing desired by the original breeders from the BR was the sex linked barring gene, as for the Chilean stock? punnet described them as Mongrels, so really expecting anything from them beside cream and blue gene is again wishful thinking

7. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Please RED Line the Drawing to show what changes you feel are required to confirm to the Legbar SOP.

Note: I am seeing "medium" length legs listed in both the Rock SOP and the Legbar SOP, but "long" Leg for Leghorns. I am seeing "curved" backs that are "horizontal" for both the Rocks and the Leghorns, but a "downward slope" type back in the Legbar SOP. I am seeing 8lb hens for the Rock, 4-1/2 lbs hens for the Leghorns and 6lb hens for the Legbar. The Legbar is not a Rock and is not a Leghorn it is a distinct breed and if you read the SOP it describes a distinct type that is NOT Leghorn type (just similar in most areas).

P.S. The Chilean Hen was a joke. The offspring of the Chilean Hen and Hamburg cock were used in the Study of Cream Plumage which culminated with the created a line of Cream ground birds with Leghorn type. Assuming no atavism the type of the Chilean Hen and Hamburg were breed out before the blue egg gene was introduced into the Legbars lines. [​IMG]

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Here is my rooster with the frostbite comb he is just about 1 year old now and I think he is maturing nicely. I know his comb is horrid[​IMG] I plan to start treating it today

[​IMG]trying to get a front view and she photo bombed the pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my girls just cause they are pretty lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Show me a 6lbs Legbar hen and I will give you a Cookie..

10. DeltaBluezTess

DeltaBluezTess Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    what kind of cookie? ;-) diane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by