Cream Legbars

Quote:
That's what I was attempting to do with the sketch. 6Lb hens is what the Legbar SOP is written for so that is what I think WHmarans and a few hundred other Legbar Breeders are trying to envision. I hope that others will find the sketches useful as they read the SOP and try to understand where it varies from the Leghorn and what it might look like.

Just for fun, below is an overlay of the last Legbar posted. My understanding of the SOP is that the last Legbar posted would have better type if the back had a downward slope and had a wider fan to the tail.

Last edited:
That's what I was attempting to do with the sketch. 6Lb hens is what the Legbar SOP is written for so that is what I think WHmarans and a few hundred other Legbar Breeders are trying to envision. I hope that others will find the sketches useful as they read the SOP and try to understand where it varies from the Leghorn and what it might look like.

Just for fun, below is an overlay of the last Legbar posted. My understanding of the SOP is that the last Legbar posted would have better type if the back were longer, had a downward slope to the back, and had a wider fan to the tail.

This is great I was wondering if there was some sort of overlay we could use to compare over our own pics of our birds.

The drawing is pretty close to the pic. Also she was standing a little akward because I stopped her in her tracks.

This is not set in stone and the way I look at this may change a half dozen time this year, but below are some comparisons I have sketched out. The Legbar has the 1) Legs of the Plymouth Rock (medium length as opposed to the long length of the leghorn) 2) Well rounded Prominent Breast of both the Rocks and the Leghorn 3) The head of an English standard Leghorn 4) The well curved neck of both the Rock and Leghorn 5) A straight line downward sloping back that is neither Leghorn nor Rock (Chilean Hen?) ;) The depth of the body is not so deep as the Rock (lower back line) but deeper than the Leghorn (higher back line) which is where the Legbar gets it extra weight (6lb Legbar hens as opposed to 4-1/2lb Leghorn Hens) 6) The tail of the Leghorn 7) The fluff or bottom line of the Legbar is not as tight as the Leghorn, but not as full as the Rock. Note: Others are surely focused on different points of the SOP that I am, so if you see an area that I didn't portray well in the sketch feel free to red line over this sketch and repost to show what variances you feel would make the ideal Legbar.
Wow love the sketches. I hope you'll post them again as they change.

Quote:
I dont know where are you seeing this, but the actual SOP calls for> Legs and Feet: Legs moderately long not short, not medium, but Long(moderately)
Interesting you could read that as meaning moderate in length.. Which sounds like medium. Or as moderate in the long leg category lol.

Yes my friend. True. I changed the wording intentionally.. because I was trying to describe two different ways a person can interpret the actual wording. The problem is the way the word "long" is used. For example we can say only 1/4 inch "long". That is to say only 1/4 inch in length.

Or it can mean that it falls in the moderate range of those considered long.

I guess I am actually hoping maybe the wording can be changed so that it is more clear. Even though I have no idea myself what it should be changed to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom