Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank You! Their breasts are that color even not near the snow so Im glad you like their color.

And I would love to have my rooster used as part of your discussion. Just let me know when ever the time comes.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I would use Vetericyn VF for the healing - and even the gel seems watery but it kind of 'coats' and stays as well. When freezing temps come, I would use Vaseline to put a barrier between the damp cold air and the roosters actual skin surface on his comb.

3. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH
    Sorry I am new to CCL.
    Person on another site stated the breed is difficult to sex due to auto sexing...I did not find this so.
    They are not disease resistant....haven't had mine long enoug to know...mine are only 6 & 4 mos.
    They need to be bred back to barred rocks periodically.
    I read your posts trying to learn as much as possible.

Any comments?

IMO...not sure this person knows what they are taking about!

4. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Sorry I am new to CCL.
    Person on another site stated the breed is difficult to sex due to auto sexing...I did not find this so.
    They are not disease resistant....haven't had mine long enoug to know...mine are only 6 & 4 mos.
    They need to be bred back to barred rocks periodically.
    I read your posts trying to learn as much as possible.

Any comments?

I would disagree wholeheartedly on all those points. They are very easy to sex especially if you have good breeding lines. They seem about average on heartiness, I don't see more losses in my cl chicks than any other breed. The only ones that I raise that have been heartier are my Swedish flower hens. And unless you really know what you are doing and are willing to spend 4-5 generations breeding back to true cream leg bar genetics no I would NOT do that.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

X2 what lonnyandrinda said -- BIG time... If anyone were to breed to BPR they would introduce brown genetics which would turn the eggs green...and we are going for a clear blue without brown, and working to saturate the blue. Don't breed your CL to BPR.

Upon arrival to the USA the CL was susceptible to disease organisms that it hadn't been exposed to in their native UK. The ones here who have survived that are pretty disease resistant IMO.

Autosexing goes forward from generation to generation...(although some UK sites mention loss of autosexing, I'm sure they are working on it over there). here, if someone has a chick displaying ambiguity they are advised to avoid using that particular chick for a breeder after it has grown. The major advantage of the breed is autosexing - among the MANY advantages....

The person who gave you that information just about strikes out with three wrong statements...[​IMG]

Glad that you have CLs - you may want to check the website www.creamlegbarClub.com - there is a lot of info there too. Think about joining the club -- Ohio! I grew up in Maumee.

6. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    I few months back I read an 1988 article on the auto-sexing breed in the "Fancy Fowl" magazine that a breeder in the UK had. It stated that the convention used by breeders of auto-sexing breeds was to mark cockerels with good marking for auto-sexing by toe punching the outer toes on the right foot. and marking well marked pullets with a toe punch on the outer left toe. I am not sure how they come up with this method and why they wouldn't mark the pullets and cockerels the same way, but later on when breeding stock was being selected they would know which were the best auto-sexing and improve the auto-sexing ability in their line.

1 person likes this.
  7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    this is a good way to keep track of you best autosexing birds..

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    ahhh but Chickat, I didnt say he was a gold legbar, I said his phenotype was of a gold legbar and that he is carrying one copy of cream(he did sire cream birds with cream pullets)

9. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH

thanks lonny & chik
    I thought this guy was way off with his comments.
    I hatched eggs & had no problem with sexing.
    Also purchased pullets from Jordan Farms & found them to be very Hardy & extremely friendly & curious. I too have Swedish Flower Hens.

At what age do the CCL begin to lay?
    I have one pullet that is just 6 months, the other 5 are not quite 5 months. I am getting 2 eggs per day....I am puzzled!
    I am familiar with Maumee, we are south on 75, small town north of Dayton.

Thanks again.....I love my CCL & have a beautifu roo Reginald. He is in with 26 hens & will not share his girls, beat up my SFH roo. I thought there were enough girls for them both...but Reggie won't share :)

Here are 4 of his offspring...just hatched yesterday (mixed) but cute all the same.

[​IMG]

Thanks

10. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    A taller lanky body has more body. More body,longer body has ability to put more weight on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by