Cream Legbars

I forgot the scale today. I have no problem saying when I'm wrong that im wrong but i think this girl is close to 6 pounds. Ill remember the scale tomorrow

Can you Red line the sketches I posted to show the out line of the Longer and Lanky Hens.

Also should your hens come in at 6# could you get a good profile photo of her when she is weighed? :)
im not sure how to redline the sketches. Ill try to get a good side shot. I have a small cage to weigh her in. I almost got the perfect side shot the other day but last sec she tucked her head. First pic is a good side shot the second shows her neck length. She reminds me of a leghorn hen form.

Edit. She has what i think is moderately long legs

Last edited:
What is the reason for trying to have the CL larger than a leghorn? We're wanting to trade a little feed efficiency and egg laying for a little more meat on roos? But still consider it a laying breed and not dual purpose? I'm just hoping for an efficient egg layer so don't misunderstand the reason for the question.

Making it larger confuses the issue of the breeds purpose for me a little.

Last edited:
Hmm? Larger birds can potentially lay larger eggs. Larger birds can potentially be less flighty. Larger birds can potentially be sturdier around the barn yard. Larger birds can potentially be more vigorous, etc.

The Leghorn is a lightweight layer breed. The Legbar was standardized as a medium weight laying breed. There are pro's and con's between light weight layers breeds and medium weight layers breeds. I am not trying to redefine a Cream Legbar. I am just trying to meet the standard.

I have had two different developers of Blue Eggs Hybirds in the UK state that the Hybirds are larger and stronger birds than the Cream Legbar. It seems the commercial blue egg laying flocks in the UK (which are free ranged) favor birds that are more than 4-1/2 lbs.

Last edited:
Those are good points and make sense. Thanks!

I just read that silkies, polish and "crested breeds" have a hole in their skull that makes the head susceptible to injury because the brain is not covered by bone. Does anyone know if this is the case and is it the case for CL since they are crested?

Last edited:
Hmm? Larger birds can potentially lay larger eggs. Larger birds can potentially be less flighty. Larger birds can potentially be sturdier around the barn yard. Larger birds can potentially be more vigorous, etc.

The Leghorn is a lightweight layer breed. The Legbar was standardized as a medium weight laying breed. There are pro's and con's between light weight layers breeds and medium weight layers breeds. I am not trying to redefine a Cream Legbar. I am just trying to meet the standard.

I have had two different developers of Blue Eggs Hybirds in the UK state that the Hybirds are larger and stronger birds than the Cream Legbar. It seems the commercial blue egg laying flocks in the UK (which are free ranged) favor birds that are more than 4-1/2 lbs.
Yet Mr. Michael Pease introduced white leghorn to the CCL blood line?.. larger birds may lay larger eggs, but not always, heck jumbo eggs comes from skiny leghorns, and I wish for you to point me where it says on any of the legbar history that is a Medium sized weight laying breed?

At what age do the CCL begin to lay?
I have one pullet that is just 6 months, the other 5 are not quite 5 months. I am getting 2 eggs per day....I am puzzled!

The magic number for laying has seemed to be just around 24-weeks for those that are at POL when the days are long... If the CL comes to 24 weeks when the days are shortening - she may just put it off until spring arrives.

I have been lurking and following this thread. While I do not have any CCL yet. I am interested. This weight debate interests me, A 6 LB hen would compare to a 8 LB cock. I have weighed hatchery barred rock and that is what they weigh. I realize hatchery birds are not the same as SOP birds but 6 LB hens seem heavy for a laying breed more dual purpose. Hatchery leghorn hens are more in the 3 to 3 1/2 LB range. In the USA they often carry barring in the white hatchery birds.I read that in the UK they carry mottling. I guess I am rambling but I thought CCL were a layer breed more like leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom