Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop

Sorry for the confusion...I just checked the Henderson's guide and the largest breed listed as a Laying breed was the Miroca listed at 7lbs. Laying breeds that were listed at 6lbs included the Spanish White face, Redcap, and Catalane. Other medium weight layers would be the Americana (5.5lbs). By heavy weight layers I was thing of breeds that are good layers. Yes by definition a heavy weight layer breed IS a dual purpose breed. I am not sure what the in year laying records are for the Plymouth Rock or Orpington, but was thinking that I had heard of laying strains that lay 6 eggs a week at the peak of production. I am not sure what size eggs they lay or how much they eat but would think that you could still have an efficnet layer that is more than 4-1/2 lbs.

I put about 15 CLB hens (all over 12 months old at the time) on the scale in October before culling. The smallest hen was a hair under 4lbs. All the rest were between 4-1/4 to 5 lbs. I would have to check records, but think my average eggs size is about 65 grams. with about a 4 gram average egg size variance from individual hen to individual hen. My record is a 73 gram single yolk egg and 81 gram double yolk egg (both from the same two year old hen who averages about 69 grams eggs)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    wow great data! I think that is about what my double yolk egg weighed from the hen that now typically lays 65 gram eggs and weighed 4lbs at about 8 to 9 months old. Looking at that great greenfire farms video they don't look like leghorns! They look more like your drawing to me.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thanks for the update, it's a beautiful video.

4. DeltaBluezTess

DeltaBluezTess Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    Very nice birds and I hope some of their chicks make their way to the PNW ;-)

Diane

5. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm

The male does look like the drawing. Im really surprised about the female. I do think she looks a lil bit leghorn. When she stands up her neck and body looks pretty long and so are her legs. Normally jills hens ive seen with short stubby legs and small rounder body

6. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    How much do these to weigh

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I sense hostility coming from your post to me.. I am a walking genetic calculator and not a breeder, and I love helping around here, but I think I am going to think twice, next time I am around here, and let you do the helping

8. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    Hi Steen, I should have put a little more clarification in my comment. I was talking about the Greenfire video looking more like the proposed CL drawing... rounder than a leghorn. So it sounds like we agree.. your female looks a little more leghorn type. But your girl still doesn't look quite as sleek as a leghorn to me. But I definitely have not seen show quality leghorns much.

Or are you saying the hen in the video looks a little leghorn to you too? That would be surprising to me. The video hen looks rather roundish to me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    I think she looks between the two. there's only one second you can see the length of her body clearly. And for a few seconds how long her neck is. Her legs are surprisingly long for a jill bird. Even my one hen if shes bent over picking at the ground her neck looks shorter and can look rounder. Theres a few sec of the vid you can see the hens real form

10. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by