Cream Legbars

Quote:
Rhodebars, Hambars, Welbars are autosexing counterparts of RIR, New Hampshire, Welsummers, so as far as name goes, Legbars were Autosexing Leghorns, now Cream Legbars are autosexing leghorns that carry cream and lay blue eggs, if you dont think thats the case change the name of the bird and take the Leg part of the name and rename...

I feel the Legbar is a unique breed and deserves being preserved and breed to it own standard not breed to the Leghorn standard.
Change "breed" to "bred" in the two places that I italicized above, and I feel that this sentence should be put into one of our Club's handbook... It is a very valuable perspective.

Here is a picture from long ago of the CL - speaking of 'handbook'.....

Left hen is the legbar type with long legs, Center hen is the more rounded type with shorter legs......... I did measure the length of leg from hock/end of feathers to shank end on the foot for one of mine that lacked a crest, and it was just about exactly 3" - she had the longer sleeker body type we are talking about, and longer legs...

Also think that before these diagrams that GaryDean26 made get buried way back on BYC posts they need to be put someplace for easy reference...and maybe also put in the 2014 club's hand book. Remember that one of the judges suggested that an outline would help a judge at a poultry show...perhaps until there is a change - these that GD did should be the working models...

I was way off on weight estimates. I definitely can't look at a bird I guess its weight yet. My roo that looked the biggest came in at 4.8 pounds. The other roo was 5 pounds. One of my hens was 3.6 and the one i thought was 6 becaues she looked to be almost as big as my roo was 4.4 pounds. And being .4 and .6 pounds under my roos weights she definitely it's almost as big. My dumb A@@ cl rooster has been battling me again after a few months of being nice. He seen my first chick i ever hatched (a roo) kick me and instantly went back to his old ways. So i didnt want to upset them by catching and weighing my 2 year olds.

After yesterdays CL fight with me, one of my Ameraucana roosters started fighting me and he was the 2nd nicest rooster I have. He liked to be pet and be next to me. Today in a seperate pen where the naughty roosters cant even be seen my jearhon rooster decided to attack me. Then going into the big hen house that same amdraucana rooster fights me again.

I dont know if their getting fiesty thinking it might be spring. Maybe hearing and seeing other roos thdy cant get to makes them mad. What ever the case is im good to roosters even the mean ones. I might just get the axe out soon though. It makes me so mad.

Quote:
dont worry about it, I seriously doubt anybody here on this forum has a 6 pound hen, but dont worry about it, size is that least of your worries, as long as you have type and body and good egg production, all Ok

Quote:
dont worry about it, I seriously doubt anybody here on this forum has a 6 pound hen, but dont worry about it, size is that least of your worries, as long as you have type and body and good egg production, all Ok
definitely I don't mind the smaller chickens. If weights stay the same as they are now for the sop we will eventually get them higher

Last edited:
I was way off on weight estimates. I definitely can't look at a bird I guess its weight yet. My roo that looked the biggest came in at 4.8 pounds. The other roo was 5 pounds. One of my hens was 3.6 and the one i thought was 6 becaues she looked to be almost as big as my roo was 4.4 pounds. And being .4 and .6 pounds under my roos weights she definitely it's almost as big. My dumb A@@ cl rooster has been battling me again after a few months of being nice. He seen my first chick i ever hatched (a roo) kick me and instantly went back to his old ways. So i didnt want to upset them by catching and weighing my 2 year olds.

After yesterdays CL fight with me, one of my Ameraucana roosters started fighting me and he was the 2nd nicest rooster I have. He liked to be pet and be next to me. Today in a seperate pen where the naughty roosters cant even be seen my jearhon rooster decided to attack me. Then going into the big hen house that same amdraucana rooster fights me again.

I dont know if their getting fiesty thinking it might be spring. Maybe hearing and seeing other roos thdy cant get to makes them mad. What ever the case is im good to roosters even the mean ones. I might just get the axe out soon though. It makes me so mad.

Sorry to hear about the rooster attacks! If I have a grumpy rooster I haven't gotten rid of yet I catch him and put him in a box before catching girls. I just do not like to deal with aggressive roosters.

. I have a problem that tops yours! I think mine have Marek's. I think I'm out of chickens all together :-(. Maybe a couple hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom