Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA

Stop wearing that Armani scent and use Old Spice. Roosters like Old Spice.

2. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
  3. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    I don't have anywhere Marek's free to hatch them out unfortunately. And I have 18 girl hatch eggs in the new incubator too. Unless I vaccinate eggs. Something us telling me just let the chips fall on this one and keep a closed flock. I think that's what it's down to.

4. WHmarans

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    LOL!
    Even though I'm a woman I use old spice soaps so that's my choice too I guess. They have good taste!

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

6. WHmarans

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    I don't think you can even wash them with water and expect them to hatch. The egg has a "bloom" on it deposited by the hen when it is laid that needs to be there. But they will hatch Marek's free because the incubator is free from dander dust that carries the virus. I could vaccinate them straight out of the incubator but it takes some time for resistance from the vaccine to build up and I don't have anywhere Merak's free to raise them a while and to do that. Might possibly work something out this spring but not with any certainty as it can travel a mile or more on dust in the wind.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

8. WHmarans

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    That is very kind of you to think of ideas but it isn't about the ground it's about dust in the air and wind and dust are synonymous with this place! I should certainly just get a box and do my best with the new chicks you are right! It can only be better than doing nothing. The virus lives in the environment for a year so I'm told. It's very very contagious. Will be in my clothes and hair from infected birds. Very hard to control if you interact with infected birds. That is part of what makes me think fighting it with vaccine might not be feasible for me I may just need to keep those that are resistant and keep a closed flock. And infected birds that fight it off will shed it for life I've been told.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. WHmarans

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    What is MG?

10. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by