Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    AH thanks for reminding us!

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Thank you Dr. E! I was going to point them in the same direction [​IMG]

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The white tail feathers are like 'racing stripes' - I think it really looks distinctive. Seems that they loose them frequently though so only at certain times of the year do they show up. Thank goodness they are included in SOP..
    .[​IMG]

4. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    The new tail angles on the foundation roos with the white . The saddle in the 2nd pic got way red at 2 year molt. His shoulders wing bay and neck color is all darker. Hes the dark bar roo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Beautiful!! That is a really nice rooster. Meaning the second one. Actually, I kind of like that chestnut in the saddle feathers. And the neck hackles do look luxurious, and a very nice color. If memory serves, the coloration is only 10% of the score in a judging, and sadly, we have acted like it is 100% of the entire bird. Is his head as good as the rest of him??

Had the strangest thing. My rooster comb started to bend over at the back.. Thought he was getting to be old and decrepit and gravity was taking a toll. Then yesterday it was entirely straight again and back to normal. Makes me think more and more that there is some randomness in a particular, age, season and eveN day to the number of points a rooster would score in a show. Two days ago he would have had a less straight comb, before this year, a higher tail, as a very young cockerel, not the dark barring on the chest, after the molt, darker saddle feathers...etc. That is probably one of the reasons that Grant Brereton recommends selecting breeding stock from 2year olds, you know more by that time. And you are also selecting a bit for some longevity.

6. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    There heads are sad right now. Both have frost bite. And i shouldnt have maid that taco shelled wattles comment. The first one with the correct barring got the frost bite on the wattles. They look horid now just like that gff rooster i said had taco shells. Age does not treat wattles well. His wattles used to be really nice. Im thinking if a young roo doesnt come with the most perfect wattles theres no way they will be nice with age. The second roo had nice wattles to but they dont look as nice any more.

I wont use the 2 nd roo with dark barring anymore unless i want hybrids. The first one im undecided if i will breed back to him.

7. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho

How would you describe the differences between the body type we want for this breed and a very nice type leghorn both male and female to the feel and to the eye only. Aside from color and crest?

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Im right there with you. My roosters wattles are ok but his comb looks so sad right now. Pale almost shinking and tips curved over and he has frost bite. I sure hope spring comes soon and his comb will goes back to looking nice

I take it back his wattles look to have a teeny bit of frost bite too. I just took some pics of him and realized his comb is pretty bad with the frost bite.

What does everyone put on badly frostbite combs to prevent or fight infection. Neosporin maybe.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:its not chestnutt its, Gold the bird clearly lack homozygous cream, so you may aswell show a gold creasted legbar and you will only be diducting 10% of the bird

10. CibolaChooks

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    Both roos are brothers and both have gave me cream offspring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by