Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. DeltaBluezTess

DeltaBluezTess Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    and I am pretty sure my Romero did NOT go to Oklahoma!
    Diane

2. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Just guessing here -- but first eggs can be weird: misshapen, yolkless, small, even shell-less. So colorless seems likely to be temporary as well.

3. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    I'm hoping so... I had not seen this yet in my line so I would think it is a fluke.

4. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    It seems like I've heard that egg color can be influenced by feed or time of year. I wonder if that's playing any part. My eggs from the same hens were much much lighter last week than they were in November. When my marans first started laying the eggs were much lighter the first week than in following weeks.
    That being said for my best color layer the color varies least.

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    I don't have any way of telling Cream at hatch. I have been able to tell which are gold and which are cream by the color of stippling on the cockerels wings at just a few weeks old. Cream. Off white stippling have been confirmed as Cream when the off-white saddle feathers come in, and the chestnut or gold hue to the wing stipling have been confirmed gold by chestnut saddles later coming in. The pullets I have to wait until the color of the hackle is in. The Cream have no hint of the brown hue to their body the time their hackle feathers come in while the gold pullets have the brown hue to their body color. Later on the Cream girls can get the brown hue which I am guessing is the result of the red enhancers???

Okay back to chicks down. I am guessing that Lonnyandrinda's Black, Blue, Brown, Green, and Orange will have red enhancement, and that Pink and White don't. In 3-4 months I will probably be proved wrong though. :) In 18 months we will see how much color their sons have on their shoulders. :)

6. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    You're on Gary Dean! ;-)

7. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011

Looks like Murphy's Law has come into play. As of today, I only have four eggs so I'm not going to send any out this week. If the girls actually lay enough between this coming Friday and Monday, I'll try again if you like.

Eggs currently in the bator are too dark to see any veining. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are all fertile and will hatch.

8. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    no problem, i have actually arranged to get eggs from someone else instead, since i hadn't heard more about this offer -- but thank you for the offer, and hopefully someone else can take you up on it once your girls are laying more consistently!

9. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho

My pullets all have very similar body color and have been all along from down to 15 weeks. Very gray body feather color. One is gold two are cream by hackle color. Right now I feel like there is no way to tell for females until the hackle feather color comes in.

10. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    I'm not looking for cream vs gold per se, I'm looking more for clues to the red enhacement or autosomal red that are showing up in my male offspring but are not present in my male rooster. I assume it is something carried by the females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by