Cream Legbars

It was brutal - I couldn't watch...
ep.gif
yuckyuck.gif

OK, I'm a victim of Chicken Math (again). As I've mentioned before here, I have Naked Necks (which I really like), and I got New Hampshire chicks at the same time thinking to cross with NNs to increase size. I've given up on this for a few reasons (one of which is that the NHs are turning out SMALLER than the NNs).

But I am also loving the idea of mottled Naked Necks (see the Calico/ALoha Naked Neck thread). So, my feed store had Speckled Sussex chicks. I realize they are hatchery stock, but I took the leap to see how they did - per the "standard", they are quite large, and they also have that nice speckling that I'd like.

Anyhow, to get to the point, I wanted to ask - are these chicks (which look very very similar to CL pullets) wild type at the E locus? (Just trying to make sure I understand this point.)

(Yes, I know, I must be out of my mind. Please don't ask me how many chickens I have right now - it's embarrassing. But quite a few are heading to freezer camp in the next couple months, so it's not as bad as it seems...
roll.png
)

- Ant Farm

OK, I'm a victim of Chicken Math (again). As I've mentioned before here, I have Naked Necks (which I really like), and I got New Hampshire chicks at the same time thinking to cross with NNs to increase size. I've given up on this for a few reasons (one of which is that the NHs are turning out SMALLER than the NNs).

But I am also loving the idea of mottled Naked Necks (see the Calico/ALoha Naked Neck thread). So, my feed store had Speckled Sussex chicks. I realize they are hatchery stock, but I took the leap to see how they did - per the "standard", they are quite large, and they also have that nice speckling that I'd like.

Anyhow, to get to the point, I wanted to ask - are these chicks (which look very very similar to CL pullets) wild type at the E locus? (Just trying to make sure I understand this point.)

(Yes, I know, I must be out of my mind. Please don't ask me how many chickens I have right now - it's embarrassing. But quite a few are heading to freezer camp in the next couple months, so it's not as bad as it seems...
roll.png
)

- Ant Farm

If you look at the Chicken Breed Calculator, Speckled Sussex are considered E^Wheaten, which favors red over black. I have cross bred Speckled Sussex and it will take a few generations if the cross doesn't already have the mottled gene you are looking for; offspring tend to be solid or barred depending on cross. I've also played with Mille Fleur Leghorn crosses, and it takes time to get back to the pretty patterns.
Thanks for suggesting an interesting thread =)

If you look at the Chicken Breed Calculator, Speckled Sussex are considered E^Wheaten, which favors red over black. I have cross bred Speckled Sussex and it will take a few generations if the cross doesn't already have the mottled gene you are looking for; offspring tend to be solid or barred depending on cross. I've also played with Mille Fleur Leghorn crosses, and it takes time to get back to the pretty patterns.
Thanks for suggesting an interesting thread =)

I really need to just hunker down and try to get all this chicken genetics straight. (sigh)

- Ant Farm

Newbie question. I have had Polish chickens who were crest pickers. Do CCL have that issue ? I wouldn't think so, since their crests are not as prominent as the Polish are.

Newbie question.  I have had Polish chickens who were crest pickers. Do CCL have that issue ? I wouldn't think so, since their crests are not as prominent as the Polish are.

I haven't had CCL but I have had hens with a similar crest size to thm, and I have had Polish with large crests. I have found that it isn't really the crest size that affects whether they are crest pickers, it's based on the hens as individuals. However, hens with smaller crests are less likely to be victims of the feather picking themselves because they have a larger peripheral visions so more aggressive hens find it harder to sneak up on them.

Back
Top Bottom