Cream Legbars

I agree, the weasels alone can be a formidable predator due to their small size a size that allows them to gain entry quite easily in many instances...

The weasels are ferocious, I saw one killing a rabbit about 4 times its size the other day! Poor rabbit :( they live in the wall of the field next door so I'm always keeping an eye out. Plus there is a badger set on the moorland just behind our house, so I'm praying none of the chooks get taken. :bow

Last edited:

I have a question, I am pretty new, I have Crested Cream Legbars and mine the pullets are quite dark. IS darker better, or a fault? Their bodies are the same color as the crest on this one.

Last edited:

I have a question, I am pretty new, I have Crested Cream Legbars and mine the pullets are quite dark. IS darker better, or a fault?

Do you mean darker like the crest is darker or something else like body color, breast, or hackles?

If you mean the crest, so far their is no right or wrong when it comes to lighter vs darker. The draft of the SOP simply states that the crest be cream and gray (some chestnut permissible). What that means to one person wont mean the same to another person. So where I stand is that as long as there is some degree of both cream and gray than it is correct. I personally do prefer lighter crests that is showing more cream than gray, but that is just personal preference.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have what may be an odd question. About a week ago, I was holding Lissa (I like to pick up and hold each of them at least once a week to check on them - and she loves being cuddled anyway). I turned to look at her, and her earlobe looked like it was turning turquoise blue! I turned her around in my arms, and the other earlobe is that same clean bright white as it has always been. Now, about a week later, it seems to be fading a little bit back to white. I *think* she laid her first egg today (outside of nest box - vs. Paula's good laying habits, smaller than Paula's ones by 14 grams - but very similar color - terrible for selecting eggs to hatch. If it was hers, Paula also didn't lay today, which is why I'm less sure...).

Here's a photo I took at the time (she also has a scratch):

Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

- Ant Farm

I have never seen this in my birds I do recall another BYC member saying they had a CL pullet with green tinged earlobes, though I cant remember who.

edited to add - because she has an injury it could be bruising. Let us know if the color goes away when the injury heals.

Last edited:
I heard that the correct egg colour for a Cream legbar is blue, and that greeny ones aren't correct? Am I right, or maybe it's just a UK thing, as US birds look a bit different.
idunno.gif

We have been discussing this back and forth for a while. It is my understanding that both are correct. But we are talking blue green as opposed to an actual green egg from an olive egger. The proposed US SOP says blue or green is acceptable.
idunno.gif

I heard that the correct egg colour for a Cream legbar is blue, and that greeny ones aren't correct? Am I right, or maybe it's just a UK thing, as US birds look a bit different.
idunno.gif
The ideal (not correct) color for Cream Legbar is blue, green is also an accepted egg color.

Last edited:
The ideal (not correct) color for Cream Legbar is blue, green is also an accepted egg color.

With all the discussions we've had back and forth, I think that's the best way I've heard it put (ideal vs. correct). Mine are a really, really pretty light bluish green (SO impossible to catch in a photo), but more green than blue and not that robin's egg blue. I really wish Lissa's were more blue - not just because, well, yeah, blue, but also because I was hoping to be able to easily tell her eggs from Paula's for any later hatching (rather than doing any isolating or trap nesting). I specifically don't want to hatch from Paula (delightful as she is) - her auto sexing wasn't so great as a chick, and that's important to me.

Of course, Paula has been a good girl and always laid in a nest so far - Lissa on the other hand laid her first egg on the floor of the coop. (I suppose it could be Jenny, but I don't think so - she doesn't seem ready.) But what a pain to tell them apart that way... Maybe egg shape or size will help.

Has anyone here tried to put supplements in the feed to intensify the blue in their eggs? (I think I read something about marigolds?) I'm getting some marigold petals for something else (a chicken treat recipe from The Chicken Chick), and thought it might be interesting to try...

- Ant Farm

Chicken Pickin, no I meant that the body (other than the breast) is that darker slate grey color I have seen some that are lighter and some that are darker. The whole body, wings etc, is it supposed to be a darker slate grey or lighter?

Back
Top Bottom