Cream Legbars

I don't really hate coyotes, but I hate what they did to my flock...
yea me too. I lost my most important cream legbar rooster on an attack that i lost 14. i fixed my pens then about a month later i lost 46. Mostly Ams i bought from one of the best guys in the country. A neighbors dog lead the attack so they were no longer skittish around my house.

Well local sales finally slowed down a few weeks ago so I pulled my ads and have been keeping all my Cream Legbars to myself- MWAHAHA. Well- what few females I have been getting anyway with all the MALE hatches I have had! I think I have about 10 or 12 growing out. The first two I saved are about 6 weeks old and I noticed this weekend that they are both CREAM hackled! Yay! GaryDean26, I have one pullet left from the eggs you brought me, lost the other two pullets I had saved to a round of Cocci. She is most definitely gold hackled. :( About 16 weeks old now. Keeping her because I KNOW her background, I will most likely start ridding myself of the Jordan Farms gold hackled girls once she starts laying. Eventually she will go in the BCM pen to make sex-linked olive eggers!

Just thought I'd say a good word for USPS- I know I certainly do my share of griping about them and eggs- but the eggs I dropped off about 11 AM Monday morning were delivered around noon on Tuesday from Oklahoma all the way to Hawaii! THAT'S impressive! Now to hope they didn't get too shaken up on the journey...
fl.gif

yea me too. I lost my most important cream legbar rooster on an attack that i lost 14. i fixed my pens then about a month later i lost 46. Mostly Ams i bought from one of the best guys in the country. A neighbors dog lead the attack so they were no longer skittish around my house.
Did the coyotes get in the pens or while free-ranging?
Dogs add a whole different dimension.
That is a stunning combined loss.

Did the coyotes get in the pens or while free-ranging?
Dogs add a whole different dimension.
That is a stunning combined loss.
They got in the pen. I tracked all their tracks that day. the coyotes went to neighbors house picked up their dog.

They came up my land passed a rather large hen house Ive had there for over a year and they have never dug under those fences.

They passed up those which by the way are a hundred yards away and cant be seen from my house. And birds i didn't really care about compared to the ones they got.

They came up to the grow out run i had right by my house and just dug away. I was gone at the time so they had time to do it. I don't think they would stick around this area

long enough to do what they did without the neighbors dog giving them courage. From what i can tell they had the younger ones at one end pushing them down the run from

the one side and down threw the run to the holes they dug out. They just funneled them out the cage. Here is before i fixed the digging issue.

Ill take some pics of how i fixed the digging problem. I laid cattle panels flat on the ground and covered the outside edges with rocks and dirt and giant dead tree logs. i left the cpl feet right next to the cage not buried so when they dig they can feel the metal.

Last edited:
Quick question. I have some clb that I hatched out from eggs I purchased from garydean26. There about 3 weeks old and going strong but the question or well something that baffles me is one of the pullets makes this loud/weird chirp not a normal chirp that chicks make. Its almost like a bird singing and its loud. I keep going in and checking to see if maybe if a different kind of fowls eggs got in by mistake but they all look alike except for the boys/girls differences. What do y'all think?

Quick question. I have some clb that I hatched out from eggs I purchased from garydean26. There about 3 weeks old and going strong but the question or well something that baffles me is one of the pullets makes this loud/weird chirp not a normal chirp that chicks make. Its almost like a bird singing and its loud. I keep going in and checking to see if maybe if a different kind of fowls eggs got in by mistake but they all look alike except for the boys/girls differences. What do y'all think?
Are you sure it is the pullet making the noise? Sometimes the CL cockerels start a squeeky crow very young. My birds also trilled when they were happy -- it was a soft sound..but unlike any other breed of chicken that I every experienced. The trill means happy -- and they usually do it when humans are outside and they are inside. ;O)

They got in the pen. I tracked all their tracks that day. the coyotes went to neighbors house picked up their dog.

They came up my land passed a rather large hen house Ive had there for over a year and they have never dug under those fences.

They passed up those which by the way are a hundred yards away and cant be seen from my house. And birds i didn't really care about compared to the ones they got.

They came up to the grow out run i had right by my house and just dug away. I was gone at the time so they had time to do it. I don't think they would stick around this area

long enough to do what they did without the neighbors dog giving them courage. From what i can tell they had the younger ones at one end pushing them down the run from

the one side and down threw the run to the holes they dug out. They just funneled them out the cage. Here is before i fixed the digging issue.

Ill take some pics of how i fixed the digging problem. I laid cattle panels flat on the ground and covered the outside edges with rocks and dirt and giant dead tree logs. i left the cpl feet right next to the cage not buried so when they dig they can feel the metal.

Nice run Steen.... are those cattle panels and what we call around here T-posts? What is the height? I think here for fencing we usually use 4' T-posts. Do you have hardware cloth along the bottom? or all the way to the top.

I'm in need of a new --big and safe run...so this is really interesting to me.

Back
Top Bottom