Cream Legbars

Quote:
Kilnchick -- do you know what plant it is? My chickens were eating a PETUNIA the other day -- I didn't know that they liked petunias at all. It is one plant that was hanging on through the drought. I bought it from some Amish people in a parking lot and I have been amazed at the performance. I think that the soil they have it planted in must be amazing soil. -- ahhh chickens!

I would not worry about the little boys comb yet. I have a couple of roos whose comb at a young age appeared just as curved as your boy. But upon grow out the combs straightened and look very good now. As far as the little girl is concerned, if she is healthy and doing well, it would appear that she is destined for a laying flock and not for breeding.

Last edited:
Kilnchick -- do you know what plant it is? My chickens were eating a PETUNIA the other day -- I didn't know that they liked petunias at all. It is one plant that was hanging on through the drought. I bought it from some Amish people in a parking lot and I have been amazed at the performance. I think that the soil they have it planted in must be amazing soil. -- ahhh chickens!
I can't think of the name right now but I will get back to you on it. It's a succulent and grows crazy fast!!! You can break a piece off, lay it on the ground somewhere and it will grow!

My CLs are too young to lay. I have gotten hatching eggs from 2 sources. I asked one source whether they would describe the eggs as blue or green-tinted and they thought blue. To my eye, there is green. I think that blue v green is very much in the eye of the beholder and the lighting.
Here is a random selection of eggs from the two shipments, one with the more blue-green page from the OAC and one from the more straight blue. Same eggs same lighting. It is really hard to get the color to show on those eggs in photos. Bottom line, most eggs were OAC 123 (more green-blue) or 179 or 151

All I would consider more pastel. I know some breeders have shown a more saturated color and it will vary depending on the time in the laying cycle.

I also seen photos with the eggs displayed on different background colors, and that will really change the perceived color of the eggs.
Norm and dred
Thanks so much Yeah its true! if a color is turquoise ppl see green and some blue depending on your own eyes.Looking at this collection in the pic I see some more pale green and some more pale blue both! Oh and so intuitive to say that depends on the color behind or around it!! I never thought of that but it is true... All Pretty interesting.
Wonder do the same hen lay the same color egg or does it vary as you said on timing of laying. I only have one LAM hen so no way t o compare too much but so far they look pretty much the same to me

last Any body know of a breed with a really darker blue egg?.
Just wonder if any are
.I saw someone on BYC said she was breeding for a deeper blue egg Sounds good!.

1muttsfan--very cool picture series.

Here is a link to an eye color test/game originally posted by Habib's Hens (was Silverfox) in another thread. I took it and scored average, but almost all of my misses were in the blue/green area:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

I just took this test, I scored a 4 and all of my misses were in the green/turquoise/aqua color range. It was really smack dab in the middle of the greens, not venturing into the yellow, or the blue.
I have been reading this thread and getting all excited for my future raising chickens.
It's not going to be for a while. I am stuck in a chickenless city for at least 5 more years. I'm going to be raising meaties in my basement, because I figure what the city doesn't know, they can't fine me for, and I'll only have them for 8-10 weeks before processing, then rinse repeat you know?

I admire what you guys are doing here, I'm reading through the whole thread and being on the ground floor isn't easy. But when it;s something you have a passion for, it's worth it.
I'm... still looking into this breed. I am pretty sure this is the breed for me. Though I confess, the likelihood of me having standard birds are small, since I don't care about color and... I don't like crests *ducks*. Sorry, I have done the show thing (dogs), and I'm more interested in utility, and in my show experience, I have found that over all utility suffers when form is valued over function. That does not mean that I do not appreciate the work I am seeing being put into the development of this breed in the US.

I do like the idea of a true breeding auto sexed breed, and I love the egg color. I do wonder of they were intended to be layers or dual purpose. I don't have that quite set in my head, and nothing that I have been able to find has clarified that for me, so if someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Now back to reading... I'm on page 137, and closing fast. This thread is fascinating! Then I am going to move to the other legbar thread, lol.

Last edited:
Layers, but many people grow out the spare boys for dinner
smile.png

Thanks for the info.
I kind of had the feeling that they were primarily layers, being a leghorn cross. But I wasn't completely certain, and I have learned to not assume anything, lol.

I noticed where there is some soiling the eggs are a little green did you try wiping them off to see if they are blue under soiling also you might try adding carratoids to their diet (antioxident ) avaliable in orange yellow and purple fruit there hwas a study released recently tracking the egg laying coloration of the (blue footed booby) who lays blue eggs and the scientists were able to acheive a higher colorsaturation of blue (darker color) relative to the caritoid increase achieving a darker color even mid or late cycle in comparison to the start (where its usuaally darker to start) i feed mine marigold pettals or (calendula) they are not crazy about fruit.
i wonder if i got the super blue eggs when mine were eating tomatoes. i had yellow ones and they would get pre mature red ones that were basically orange.

Back
Top Bottom