Cream Legbars

Ugh, you people are killing me! Now I may have to keep one or two just for curiosity's sake. And if i do that I have to keep an intact one or two to compare!!! :)

I looked closely today, and without exception, every capon has significantly less red coming through.

Ugh, you people are killing me! Now I may have to keep one or two just for curiosity's sake. And if i do that I have to keep an intact one or two to compare!!!
smile.png

I looked closely today, and without exception, every capon has significantly less red coming through.

Huh, that is very interesting. This will be a neat experiment to follow.

I was on this forum two months ago asking about sexing the two CLB chicks I had just gotten from My Pet Chicken. Turns out their hatchery did a terrible job of sexing them. The two had distinctively different wing feather development at the time, though both had chipmunk stripes.

The one with wing feathers died during the first week from failure to thrive, and now the one with the slow wing feathers is crowing. He's definitely male and he crows every morning, even though he still is chirping the rest of the time.

Is pre-adolescent crowing the norm for this breed? He's still a little cuddle muffin, and he still likes to fall asleep in my lap.

I'm very disappointed in MPC for depriving me of blue eggs, though.

I was on this forum two months ago asking about sexing the two CLB chicks I had just gotten from My Pet Chicken. Turns out their hatchery did a terrible job of sexing them. The two had distinctively different wing feather development at the time, though both had chipmunk stripes.

The one with wing feathers died during the first week from failure to thrive, and now the one with the slow wing feathers is crowing. He's definitely male and he crows every morning, even though he still is chirping the rest of the time.

Is pre-adolescent crowing the norm for this breed? He's still a little cuddle muffin, and he still likes to fall asleep in my lap.

I'm very disappointed in MPC for depriving me of blue eggs, though.
It can be common within any breed to be a very early crower, each cockerel is different. Some can be very late crowers as well. But yes Cream Legbar cockerels can start to crow early. I often have a few cockerels in each batch crowing at 8 weeks, I have a young one now that started crowing at about 4 weeks old. I find with my males that average age overall is about 16weeks with of course some exception.

Thanks. This is my first experience with early crowing. I've always found it difficult to fathom a chick still in the chirping stage and crowing. The two vocals must originate in entire different parts of the voice box.

Ugh, you people are killing me! Now I may have to keep one or two just for curiosity's sake. And if i do that I have to keep an intact one or two to compare!!!
smile.png

smile.png

I wonder how capons work as members of a flock? I.e. a flock with hens and a rooster.

@chambe94 the CL team appreciates your efforts =)
Maybe you need to keep QUITE A FEW to answer @normanack 's question?!

Back
Top Bottom